2004 15hp merc 2stroke won't stay running

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought the boat from a private seller. Took it home looked in fuel tank saw bunch of junk in there so I cleaned tht, then I tried to start it found it wasn't getting fuel to bowl the fuel line which has the primer was clogged, last I cleared all tht up I started it it ran with prime knob all the way out but when I pushed it in the engine would bog down and turn off so I can't even put it In gear.. Any suggestions would b appriciated thx guys!!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 2004 15hp merc 2stroke won't stay running

Manual is on it's way to you. If you have that level of contamination of the fuel system, it is probably wise to pull the carburetor for a thorough cleaning.

Gerry

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

Thx bud I had a feeling u were going to say tht .lol I just recieved it thx!!!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Total fuel system clean up in order ....replace any fuel filters too....remove and clean carb thoroughly....reinstall....run some decarbonizer/cleaner through the system after the carb is reinstalled and the engine started. Your fuel hose lines should also be flushed with clean gas and blown clear with compressed air... the primer bulb will have crud in it ...clean or replace. Study the manual and the motor together ...get real familiar.

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

Thx .. Also Noticed water wasn't coming out of tube from top side should I worry bout tht or just get it running first ? Thx again

carholme

Rear Admiral

Do you mean that you have run it again since your first run?

That engine has a 120 degree thermostat, seen here, item 37,

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - Cylinder Block and Covers - 6/8/9.9/15

so it is going to have to warm up a bit before you see water out of the pee tube.

To give yourself peace of mind, the easiest thing to do would be to drop the LU and have a look at the impeller.

Gerry

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I'm going to do..it's been sitting for bout 6mths so ima go through it.. Drain and fill gear lube drop LU check impeller .. Buy carb kit and install.. Lube all lube points and hope this thing runs afterwards lol thanks ta you I have the manual and have been studying it up and down... Thx!! Gerry and Quicktach for y'all's advice ill keep u posted on how it turns out!!!!! Thx again !!!

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

Well took lower unit down found gear lube in the impeller housing thinking I have to replace seals from gear unit too?

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it gear lube in the impeller housing or burnt/exhaust smelling oil - that may have got sucked in ? Interesting if you can find out how the "lube" is getting there....could be a seal.....

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

Just a little but enough to make the impeller spongy looks like it wasn't spinning ,two arms were deformed

crazyfish73

Seaman Apprentice

Just a little but enough to make the impeller spongy looks like it wasn't spinning ,two arms were deformed