Removing stuck screwss from fiberglass

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have recently purchased a used fiberglass center console boat (Century 1700CC). There are screws through instrument brackets (on the top of the console) which are seized. Prior to me, someone tried to remove several, shearing off one head and rounding out the crosshead on another. (Getting access to the screws from inside the console may require a contortionist). I need to take these screws out and start over and would like to apply some sort of penetrant prior to the attempt, but am not sure what to use. If it was metal-to-metal, I would use Blaster PB or Kroil. Since fiberglass is involved, I am not sure what to use. Any suggestions?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Removing stuck screwss from fiberglass

I've never had any luck with that. I usually break them off and then if a little left I end up breaking them again with a vise grip. Then I grind them flush and move everything over the width of the shank and pilot drill new holes for new screws. When I put new screws in I put a tiny dab of silicone or 5200 on the screw. And yes, I can get them out again with 5200.

agallant80

Commander

If you post a photo it would be easier for people to come up with ideas.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Left handed drill bits! Tap on the broken screw with a center punch to loosen it, then use the left handed drill bit to remove.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Impact!!!! I have a regular air operated impact for larger things but I also have a little hand held tool that you can select the impact direction and insert the blade of choice. You put it in the screw and smack it with a hammer. As the tool responds to the hammer, the blade is forced in the direction selected. The blades are heat treated and do not deform so you maintain an intact interface. You just keep hitting it till it moves. You can assert tremendous force with impact tools without damage to the screw/bolt/whatever. Might add a little WD-40 to slicken things up when it decides to come out.

I have never lost a fastener to an impact tool and I do a lot of work on farm machinery that has been out in the weather for 40-50 years or so.

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd drill it out, and re-use th eholes or fill them. I'd worry about impact and even extractors chipping or cracking the surface. I assume you are sure there are no bolts?

replace with nuts and bolts, SS of course, if you can. Maybe enlist the help of a child to get up in there. or work through a bigger hole, like remove the dash or glove box.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Screws are out, required hard tapping of the screwdriver while exerting great rotational force. One screw required a pipe wrench after removing the "sacrificial" bracket. Thanks for the advise.

maicoman

Seaman

A pipe wrench to get a screw out of fiberglass,OMG,that must be good glass.Congatulations on your sucess.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Screws are out, required hard tapping of the screwdriver while exerting great rotational force. One screw required a pipe wrench after removing the "sacrificial" bracket. Thanks for the advise.

Looks like you "improvised" (as Clint Eastwood would say) your own impact wrench. Glad you were successful.

Mark