Engine swap advice

Bratcher4079

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 89 Valiant VIP with a GM 4.3L V6 and a OMC outdrive. The existing motor is dead with a cracked block (I got it this way). I have access to a complete chevy V8 motor that was removed from a salvaged/wrecked boat. So my question is will the motor mounts line up if I make the switch to a V8 or will they have to be relocated? What year motor do I need to look for? What other pitfalls should I be aware of. Will the V8 connect to my OMC outdrive without any modifications. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine swap advice

I have an 89 Valiant VIP with a GM 4.3L V6 and a OMC outdrive. The existing motor is dead with a cracked block (I got it this way). I have access to a complete chevy V8 motor that was removed from a salvaged/wrecked boat. So my question is will the motor mounts line up if I make the switch to a V8 or will they have to be relocated? What year motor do I need to look for? What other pitfalls should I be aware of. Will the V8 connect to my OMC outdrive without any modifications. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Ayuh,... What was the V8 hooked up to,..??

Even if ya get it in, 'n hooked up, the gear ratio of the drive is wrong, 'n I doubt you'll be able to re-prop it to work...

Bratcher4079

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine swap advice

Thank you for the response Bond-0. I'm thinking it's time to junk this boat get a newer one.