1992 force 120hp t/t

termz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello i got a force 120 hp model 1208x92c. Outboard runs great but the tilt and trim is stuck in the up posistion. I find it wierd that when i press up on the motor i can still raise it another 2-3 inches by hand. should i be able to do this? when i click the down switch for the tilt and trim i can hear it clicking in the back but nothing happens. just wondering where i should start and what to look for?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 force 120hp t/t

Hi there termz.

Have to ask, did you just get this motor?
Did it just get stuck up? Or was it that way when you got it?

Or was it working properly, and now it is stuck?

The simplest thing to check: Is there a trailering bracket in place.

THe trailering bracket is a bent bar, that is placed between the transom bracket, and the midsection of the motor. It supports the motor while trailering.

You can see it in the link below. It is part @5 in the diagram.

Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - SWIVEL BRACKET/STERN BRACKETS - 120 H.P.

RRitt

Captain

inside the engine, under the carbs, is a pair of relays. swap the relays and see if the engine goes down but not up. If the problem reverses direction then you need a new pair of relays. they are 5pin headlight relays. aka bosch style 12v relays with NC contacts.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

my wife bought the boat for me while i was in Afghanistan. the motor runs great reguardless if its stuck up. i got the boat with the tilt stuck up because the boat looks brand new its a 1992 bayliner caprie br. I picked it up for only 1300! I will check the relays tonight, if that isnt the problem should i hot wire the tilt motor to see if its siezed?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

First thing is to check for is that trailering bracket.

Be carful, the motor is heavy.
If you remove the bracket, the motor may come crashing down and smash your fingers.

It could be there is a problem with the tilt motor or pump, and the motor is only being held up by the bracket.

I wouldn't hot wire the unit.
Test the circuit with a volt meter.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

ok there is no trailering bracket in place. i swapped the relays and still only get clicks. wired the trim motor up to a battery and the trim motor didnt move at all. pluged the battery back in and tested with a volt meter and volts tested good. bad trim motor?

RRitt

Captain

yup. hot wired & no response is either rusted shut valve body (rare) or broken motor (common).

chinese motors are cheap adequate. you can find them everywhere. iboats has them but often out of stock. if so try google, ebay, amazon, etc. 2/3 of the quality for 1/2 the price. spray it down with flex-seal and you add some years.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

how do i go about changing this motor with it stuck in the up posistion? do i need to drain the system? also is it the 4 alan wrench bolts holding the motor on? and also if i take the motor off with the outboard up is it going to fall and kill me?

RRitt

Captain

you always block a motor in place and securely fasten the blocks against slippage. it is the first thing you do whenever working on trim.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

ok i removed the trim motor didnt have to remove tilt assemby or touche the motor just used a socket extention with an alan bit and got to it pretty easy. After i removed the motor i unscrewed the top and dumped out a ton of water. the whole motor is rusted and the wires are all caroted. the part number on the trim motor is pt497NK. anyone know a place where i can get a good deal on a replacment?

termz

Seaman Apprentice

also with the tilt motor off me and my brother in law tried to get the motor to lower. its still stuck in the up posistion and even with the tilt motor off it still wont go down is tis normal? and what can i do to get the motor down before i get the tilt motor.

RRitt

Captain

the trim motor part number you gave is not for a Force outboard. h12108X92C is an outboard serial number.

you need to post some pictures.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

ok well heres some images. photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto1.JPG force 120hp as u can see serial plate with model number is also posted and i took a picture of the trim motor that i took off.

RRitt

Captain

well that's definitely an outboard ... but the motor number shows up as L-drive for me. How about a picture of the trim system?

also, you know that there is a flip-over lever on the transom bracket? It stops the engine from going down any further during storage or towing. It also corresponds to just about the angle your engine is at in picture. Have you read an owners manual yet? That might be a good time investment.

also, you should try hot wiring that motor again now that you have it off. Some 1992 versions the trim motor stops spinning when you run system hard against the tilt stop.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

i looked for the flip over lever on the transom bracket didnt find one. u know if its on the starboard or port side? i will try hot wiring the motor tonight after i clean the rust out of it. also here are some pictures of the trim system.photo (1).JPGphoto (2).JPGphoto.JPG

termz

Seaman Apprentice

didnt relize all my pics were upside down sorry

RRitt

Captain

finally! an picture that identifies transom brackets and trim system.
your transom brackets are chrysler style and pobably do not have a trailering latch. The engine should have come with a chrome plated bracket about 14" wide made from 1/2" round metal. that is your trailering bracket. It should be used to support the engine whenever towing or storing.

Your trim system is eaton style. The original motor was tall and skinny. It has been replaced with an aftermarket motor. The original motor was discontinued and replaced with 809855 in the mid 1990's. The most likely cause of seizure is improper installation. It is common among amatuer mechanics to use the wrong drive shaft length in this situation.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for your vital responces ritt. Are you saying that the motor i just removed off there shouldnt have been on there? and thanks again for the model number for the replacment motor. ive been looking around for this motor with the model number 809855 and cant seem to find it. know of any marine shops online that i should check out?

RRitt

Captain

the motor in picture is an API. you would have to look it up in an api catalog. It might have fit many different assemblies. i doubt that it is broken unless it has been dropped and magnets broken (or something like that). the paint and decal are in too good of shape for it to be worn out already.

termz

Seaman Apprentice

i disasembled the motor when i took it off. the motor was filled with water not sure how long it had been in there. I couldnt even turn the motor by hand because the rust. i cleaned it out real nice hooked it back up and still nothing. i think its the electrical boards and wires that are fried on the top panel of the motor.