AQ280 clearance at pinion to needle bearings on lower gear unit?

wrbowcal

Cadet
Hi I will try to explain this the best I can.I am reassembling the lower gear unit with all shims everything as it was before dismantling, and I have this clearance of .037" at the pinion when the race is clamped down on the upper bearing without the prop housing in ,so if I shim for proper gear contact now I will have .037" at the tapered needle bearings at the pinion and I assume these uncaged needle bearings should have as little clearance as possible and of course shimming at the pinion will not work.

I have .019" to play with on top of lower unit and .037" below whereas leaves me .017" gap between lower and inter housings if I go for min clearance at pinion race to needle bearings .

1. should I clamp the race down for minimal clearance (lower needle bearings to pinion race) and shim prop housing for good gear contact if possible?

2. Dont worry about clearance leave race clamped down and shim behind race on intermediate housing race after good gear
contact (would still have .037" at pinion to needle bearings)

3. Put it back the way it was? (No abnormal gear wear,gears are good but had vertical movement on shaft)

4. Remove shims from under upper drive shaft bearing.

Attachments

• VOLVO 280 017.jpg
    VOLVO 280 017.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • VOLVO 280 014.jpg
    VOLVO 280 014.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ280 clearance at pinion to needle bearings on lower gear unit?

Do you have a manual for your drive?

wrbowcal

Cadet

Hello Don. Yes it says clamp it and install prop gear if theirs no movement on shaft there isn't when its clamped but a 037 gap at pinion.was told my clymer shop manual is toilet paper and I am starting to believe it. was given a better manual on line going to read it now a see if it can fix this.

wrbowcal

Cadet

Thanks thats the one I was just reading and its way more informative than the Clymer manual that came with the boat.

l

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Clymers manuals are used for knee pads and kindling. Nothing on boat repairs. So much wrong information it's scary, and when you don't know it's wrong, it's even worse.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Sent U a PM.