Fiberglass/color restorer

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can someone recommend a good compound or fiberglass restorer for below. I think this is fiberglass and not a gel-coat, the boat is supposed to be a 1996 model year. As you can see, it's pretty faded.

Thanks in advance.

P8250385.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fiberglass/color restorer

This stuff works pretty good if you use a VS Polisher...

autogeek_2250_501383655
image_11381.jpg

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That stuff works great, but it left swirl marks on my boat. I used Meguiers diamond cut to get rid of them, and then put a couple coats of carnuba wax over top of it all.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I'd suggest starting with just a good auto cleaner wax, like Maguiars. It has a little polish in it, and can be applied on a good wax applicator with a little elbow grease.

One of the high speed buffers will get an amateur detailer in trouble. Most professionals use them and a dual action polisher, but they have specialized polishes.

The D/A polisher won't get you in trouble like the high speed buffer will.

As long as the haze is removed, auto polish is just fine for boats.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd suggest starting with just a good auto cleaner wax, like Maguiars. It has a little polish in it, and can be applied on a good wax applicator with a little elbow grease.

One of the high speed buffers will get an amateur detailer in trouble. Most professionals use them and a dual action polisher, but they have specialized polishes.

The D/A polisher won't get you in trouble like the high speed buffer will.

As long as the haze is removed, auto polish is just fine for boats.

He might be ok with that, but I found that when a boat gets that faded, you need the high speed buffer. I have done several boats like his in the past. All with some sort of red, but about the same fade. If a simple DA polisher works then great. A DA polisher with the product woodonglass suggested is a good start.

The good thing about boats is that gelcoat is pretty forgiving. You might leave some swirls in it, but you arent gonna burn through it like on a car. Trust me, I cut my teeth on my old Tahoe Q7. I wore out 2 high speed buffers on that thing. BUT I learned a lot. Now I use that thing on cars, boats, toilet seats, anything that needs a polish.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you everyone, ordered the 3M through Amazon and will pick up the dual action polisher tomorrow at Harbor Freight.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

start out at the lowest speed and dampen the applicator. After a few minutes go up a notch and don't stay in one spot to long. It's more agressive than you think. Let it dry then switch to a dry bonnet and buff and polish.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We need pictures when its done!!

Let us know how that DA polisher worked out. I am getting ready to do my buddy's boat tomorrow and would rather try that then the buffer. His is pretty bad though, I think the buffer will be needed.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will do, probably in a couple of weeks if it starts to warm up here a little. Spent today making new wood floor mounted frames for seats, original ones rotted away.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finally got to do this, everybody's suggestions worked great, thank you. The DA polisher and 3M brought the green color back, it's not showroom quality but 10 times better than what is was. I might try it again next weekend or maybe wax will shine it up a bit more.

One more additional question, I didn't spend much time on the white as when I when into the black area, it made a mess on the white section. I believe this is anti-fouling paint that is chalking. Is that normal for this type of paint? I don't plan on leaving it on the water and wonder if this could be covered with another type of paint that won't rub off on me every time I touch it. Any suggestions or should I leave it alone? I was thinking of taping it off to finish compounding the white painted sections.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Try washing the Black down with some Acetone and see what happens. Make sure and wear latex gloves and a good respirator.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Try washing the Black down with some Acetone and see what happens. Make sure and wear latex gloves and a good respirator.

Rubbing acetone on the paint makes the rag look I just rubbed shoe polish all over it. Not sure what this means.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If acetone dissolves it that readily it's NOT a bottom paint. That stuff won't hardly come off with a Sand Blaster. Can you post some pics.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If acetone dissolves it that readily it's NOT a bottom paint. That stuff won't hardly come off with a Sand Blaster. Can you post some pics.

Thanks, will do on Saturday when there is better light to take a picture. The previous owner had said it was kept in a marina for a while so I assumed it was bottom paint.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Attached are some pictures, the darker oval shaped spot is the acetone rubbed area and the dribble is from a adhesive remover product.

Thanks Woodonglass.

Attachments

• P3300248.jpg
    P3300248.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P3300249.jpg
    P3300249.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P3300252.jpg
    P3300252.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, What kind of water is she use in? Does she stay in the water during the season or is she trailered? Do you want to remove all of the Black and replace? What's your overall Plan???

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat will be trailered, 80% salt, 20% fresh. I want to freshen it up, either by painting over it with new non-bottom black paint, or bottom paint if that's all that I can cover this with. Or should I just rub the whole thing down with acetone?

Thank you very much for your help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well what ever it is, if Acetone is dissolving it this easily, If she were mine, I'd be using more Acetone and taking it off to see what's underneath. Once I got it down to some solid material, I'd then make a decision on what to go back with. Since she's trailered there's no need to use bottom paint, a good two part epoxy paint would be my suggestion for a saltwater boat. I think this is some really good stuff and 1 gallon should do the job. They'll mix any color you want.
Marine Bottom Paint for Boats - Supermarine

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, good, I can paint over it with a non-bottom paint, that's good to hear! I believe there is white gelcoat under this paint, I neglected to mention that on the bottom there are some spots where the paint has been worn through and it appears to the same finish as the sides of the hull.

Wipe with acetone and paint or do I sand also? Thanks again for all your help.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it's Gelcoat and IF it's in good shape, and IF you don't plan on leaving her in the Saltwater for more than a couple of days at a time, then you don't have to do anything except clean it an polish it. The Gelcoat will perform just fine in a saltwater environment on a Trailered boat.