1980 25hp evinrude (no fire)

JBurks

Cadet
Dropped lower unit, relpaced water pump impeller. Got it all back together, now it wont start. Cant get no fire to spark plugs. It did start for a sec when I was chking plug wires with screwdriver. I was holding screwdriver in end of plug wire and close to spark plug it caught fire, but was shocking fire outa me... Any suggestions?? I

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 25hp evinrude (no fire)

Dropped lower unit, relpaced water pump impeller. Got it all back together, now it wont start. Cant get no fire to spark plugs. It did start for a sec when I was chking plug wires with screwdriver. I was holding screwdriver in end of plug wire and close to spark plug it caught fire, but was shocking fire outa me... Any suggestions?? I

I think you now have a loose or disconnected ground wire. check all.

fireman57

Captain

Check your 20 amp fuse. I bet it's blown.

fireman57

Captain

He lost spark right after that. Just something simple to check. I like doing the simple things first before jumping all over the place and throwing parts at a problem. If the fuse checks out then he can test his coils, powerpack, etc.. Cleaning and checking the ground is another easy thing to check first and eliminate as a source of the problem.

JBurks

Cadet

When I used screwdriver it turned over a few times with no spark, then just caught spark, cranked then died when I let go. where would fuse be at?

fireman57

Captain

There is a small inline black fuse holder. It should have a wire clamp holding the 2 sides together. It is supposed to be in the engine compartment.

jasper60103

Commander

As stated before, check the ground connections to the power pack and coils.
Temporarily disconnect the black/yellow wire from stop button/switch, and make sure its not grounded anywhere.

Also, it sounds like you're testing spark at the spark plug.
Get a real spark tester. Set it for 7/16" gap.
A healthy CDI spark can jump across the street. :lol:

JBurks

Cadet

Nope, no fuses anywherenow get this... This morning me and the wife gonna go fishing this morning. Before I put engine cover back I reached over and hit starter button. It fired right up, let run for few mins, killed it, started right back up. Got to lake, and would not start again....

fireman57

Captain

Time to check all your wiring from the ignition switch all the way back to the solenoid. Did you ever check your ground wire as suggested and clean it good.

Lone Duck

Yup !! You defiantly Have a loose connection or a faulty switch. Either ignition, kill, or tilt. When you removed the lower unit, was a ground strap removed or solenoid wires?

AlTn

Commander

your plugwires could be grounding to the latch on the motor cover, or the motor cover is causing a wiring problem when it's in place

JBurks

Cadet

Ni, I didnt take any wires loose, cept the hot wire on batt. The engine cover has foam insulation inside, and having problems with cover off to.

JBurks

Cadet

Do you think a cracked startor could have anything to do with it??

Lone Duck

Ni, I didnt take any wires loose, cept the hot wire on batt. The engine cover has foam insulation inside, and having problems with cover off to.

OK! That is enough guessing. Time to do some checks. First disconnect cable from control to engine. Then pull the spark plugs and jump across the small terminals on the solenoid to crank engine and check for spark and get back to us.