Storing alcohol on the boat.

agallant80

Commander
Does anyone know if I can leave alcohol (rum, jack, bourbon)on the boat. I can't imaging it going bad but I know it can get mighty hot below deck when the boat is not hooked up to shore power sitting in the trailer in the sun. So my question is can this be done or will I some how destroy my stash?

And for the record this stash is only to be lightly used once anchor is down for the evening.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Storing alcohol on the boat.

I've never had any problem...... If rum didn't keep on a boat pirate stories would have been MUCH less entertaining.

tpenfield

Staff member

No, you shouldn't be drinking all that stuff . . . just bring a cooler of beer when you go out.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

BAH.. If it weren't for my boos and blender boating would be much less fun...... I bought a set og the special cups with a shot glass in the middle for jagerbombs too!.... LOL

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bilge is usually the coolest part of the boat; keep it in the ski locker or similar.

Drink it fast enough, and it should be all good. If you sip sparingly, I would take it off the boat and store it in the home liquor cabinet.

An interesting discussion that google yielded: Negative Effects Of Heat & Cold On Alcohol -- Tiki Central

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Leaving booze on your boat is a good way to make it a target for thieves. I wouldn't.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You'll get an open container ticket for that here in B'ama.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

guys, the question was whether the heat of the storage on a 25' boat would affect the quality of the liquor (generally, no, if it's well drinks but don't risk the single malts). No one wants to hear preaching or chest-pounding. Nezt you'll get the annoying tea-totallers all stirred up.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just store it 'internally'. ;)

bassman284

Commander

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of having booze left over to store.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I highly approve of adult beverages at the right time and the right place. Aboard a boat is neither. An open container is a trip to the slammer in many states.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a container with a lid on it isn't open

not in Virginia; it's "open" if the factory seal is removed. Empties count, too. Here, having an open container with at least some of the liquid removed, in the passenger area, and some other circumstances, is a rebuttable presumption of consuming while driving. That's for cars.

You have to look closely at your state's laws, and city/county laws, and also special laws/regs for certain bodies of water such as those in state or national parks. Typically the open container is evidence of drinking, so circumstances come into play, generally how accessible the containter is to the driver. I can't see it likely being a problem if it' sput away below decks but I have heard about one state that you can't have any on board. Anyway that wasn't the question.

there's more here:

Open Container Laws

here we go....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Jim Beam CAN NOT be stored on your boat.

Please send it to me.

Thanks for your cooperation.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

not in Virginia; it's "open" if the factory seal is removed. Empties count, too. Here, having an open container with at least some of the liquid removed, in the passenger area, and some other circumstances, is a rebuttable presumption of consuming while driving. That's for cars.

Interesting Home Cookin.

So, you could get in trouble with the empty cans in the car, while making your monthly run to the recycling center?

Sounds like a good reason to not recycle. :)

UncleWillie

Captain

...So, you could get in trouble with the empty cans in the car, while making your monthly run to the recycling center?...

Technically, YES!
That is why you should transport them in the trunk, or the bed of the truck where they are not accessible to the driver.
And it keeps down on the smell also!

If you are the designated driver, you could find yourself in jeopardy if the guys in the back seat have open bottles.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In Canada, or at least here in B.C. I cant speak for any other provinces, as long as a boat has cooking facilities and a toilet it is considered a place of residence, same as a motorhome. Alchol may be stored on board with the seal or case open, it may be consumed while tied up at a public dock but not on the dock. If you are stopped and checked while under way the law generaly looks the other way as long as the driver is not drinking .

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is an interesting discussion because my 80's Sea Ray cruiser actually has wine racks/bottle holders built in to the factory furniture on deck and in the cabin...

agallant80

Commander

I was looking at a 2013 stingray 250CS and it had a wine rack. Unless the booz is in the cockpit underway I can't imagine someone giving me a hard time when anchor is down for the night or I am in a slip. I know to be discreet and go below to make my drinks but for real guys. The way I look at it is if the booz is down below when under way and not in the cockpit then how can I get in trouble. Does this mean that someone pulling a RV will get in to trouble because they have booz in the RV?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Interesting Home Cookin.

So, you could get in trouble with the empty cans in the car, while making your monthly run to the recycling center?

Sounds like a good reason to not recycle. :)

probably not because the rest of the statute says there has to be some indication the driver was actually drinking, as well as an open container, to get the rebuttable presumption. The idea is to get the guy who hands his beer to the passenger, or puts the bottle under the seat, when he gets pulled. True, there is the potential for abuse by the LEO in that regard.

So don't get caught at midnight with 5 empty still-cold cans at your feet, beer on your breath, and claim you're heading to the recycling center. For other reasons as well, don't carry your bag of recycling on your front seat*, open. If you have empties and haven't been drinking, and the cop is a problem, insist on a breath test. do not, however, volunteer for the ABC game or other stupid human tricks; most people can't pass them sober.

*by our statute the container has to be in the passenger compartment, and in a stawag, that's forward of the last seat. On a related note, one reason I got a concealed carry permit is so that I can carry my guns in a small boat, where a pistol stored just about anywhere could be considered "within reach" and therefore illegal (I can only get to my hunting/fishing/beach house, where we target shoot, by small boat).