1998 evinrude 25 hp outboard 3 cyclinder -

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've come across what seems to be a good deal on a used outboard. This guy is asking what I would consider to be a very reasonable price for this outboard. (Less than $1000...and I have not yet received the model number so I can look up all the details.)

My concerns are: I have no clue about repairing, nor have I ever touched (much less worked on or operated) an outboard any newer than 1972. Also, I'm not finding an over-abundance of information (good or bad) on 3 cylinder outboards of this HP and or year model. To put this in perspective for you I may as well be buying a jet airplane or Sherman tank...or an all electric automobile.

Can anyone give me any insight on these as to what maintenance or issues I might expect out of an outboard of this era?

(I see the powerpack is typically about $400 for this year model. Much greater in price and complexity than coils and points ignition systems of the motors I own....)

I've read threads about powerpacks and CDI and DV meters, automatic oiling systems, sensors, onboard computer controls and such and the amount of work just diagnosing issues intimitades me. It almost seems as if you need to have a college degree in electronics to work on them.

Can someone ease my mind, substanciate my concerns or help me walk away from this motor please? I think I would like a newer motor... but right now it's just a nice thought.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 evinrude 25 hp outboard 3 cyclinder -

I didn't think 25's came w/ 3 cylinders, which may be why you can't find information?

if the motor is running, I wouldn't cross the repair bridge until you get there. If it's not running, don't pay $1000.

82rude

Rear Admiral

I didn't think 25's came w/ 3 cylinders, which may be why you can't find information?

if the motor is running, I wouldn't cross the repair bridge until you get there. If it's not running, don't pay $1000.
a quick check of the internet shows that yes indeed they did make a 25hp triple in 1998.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It was a good little mtr. If you get it the only thing you'll have to do is take the oiling system off of it if it's still got it and mix your fuel 50:1. The oiling system sucked and caused to many blown power heads.