about to purchase a 1995 - any pointers to look for

im about to buy an 1995 johnson 90 hp oceanrunner.

what should i look for when purchasing this motor and what should i worry about. i think this motor still has the VRO, not quite sure how many hours are on the motor. it is coming off a early model whaler 17 foot in the 90's

what would be a fair price to pay for this.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: about to purchase a 1995 - any pointers to look for

I have a few of those motors. i really like them. One issue that seems prevailent, is that on the one side of the carbs there is a passage that is pluged with a brass ball. That ball leaks often....letting gas run into the cowl... when the gas evaporate, then the residue is a oily mess.... they sell replacement carb bowls... and i have applied instant glue and fixed a few of mine..

otherwise i havent had much trouble.... I replaced an electrical component( rectifier/regulator) once that goes on the top of the motor and is cooled on the underside by water inside the motor....when it went bad, my tachometer stopped working.

those motors like to rev and run well....id make sure you get a temperature gauge and sender set up on each head and run a water pressure gauge.....to cover all your bases..... if you dont get that motor hot , it will run and run

I dont use my VRO oiling set up..i pre mix.

so i cant speak for the VRO

they say MOST issues, are not the result of a VRO fault....

bob

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Spend an hour's labor and have the motor checked by a professional marine mechanic.

You want to have a compression test to make sure the engine's sound. Also, have the mechanic do a pressure and vacuum test on the lower unit to make sure the seals are good ($300 repair).

Make sure the gearbox doesn't have any problems as the repairs or replacement is often more than the motor's worth.

the person im getting the motor from works for yamaha water sports division.
i just got off the phone with him and he said he will replace the the oil injection plugs. is there such thing as an injection plug on the johnsons? since the motor has a VRO and uses a pump.

sorry im new to the boating world and never really tinkered with any boat motors.

one reason i ask is became i came across this deal for 1000 bucks installed with full controls onto my boat with a 6 month warranty.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

thats a great deal.... there are no oil injectors on that motor.... one of the best things is that the seller warranties the motor for 6 months...

as long as he honors that... thats a good deal...

of course if the seller is the guy that will replace your johnson oil injectors...... then i dont know how good the warranty could be!!!

money back? or repair things?

it is usually $400 at least to install a motor that big... and controls alone , even used would be worth $100-$150...

verify the compression yourself while he checks it....

bob

phillnjack2

Ensign

if your getting a 6 month warranty and they will install it ,then that sells the engine to me straight away.
$1,000 = just ?625 in the uk.
the price for that motor running well over here is around ?1600 to ?2000 so around the $3,000 !!!!!!
and thats not dealer price,they are more expensive than that. installed and warranty would be nearer $4,000 im not joking..
I dont know where you are in the US but it sounds like a real bargain to me.

phill

will definitely do compression test before accepting the motor and paying the guy.
also ask what the warranty covers that is for sure.
i had asked him like has the VRO pump been replaced and he goes it doesnt use a VRO its oil injected, i go yes it is oil injected but johnson's ran a VRO for the oil injection. then he goes about saying oil injection plugs. Maybe he forgot he was talking about a Johnson instead of a Yamaha.
either way i would just pay the guy and plug up the VRO or buy me a new VRO pump just to have a safe sound mind that the motor will run safely and properly.

i live in southern california, when this deal came i was kind of hesititant to take it. thought it was too good to be true.

also, how would i go about testing the alarms for the VRO?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I think the only alarms that applies to the VRO would be the low oil , and no oil, in the tank !

if you had to buy a new VRO pump , it would be $300-$400, maybe more!

you need to pin the seller down on exactly what he has....because all this talk of oil injection and injector plugs, has nothing to do with that motor you mentioned

bob

okay, just got my boat to the guy yesterday, sat there and talk to him about things and what i was getting.
heres alittle background on his work and expertise. hes been with yamaha for over 20 years already, he help designed alot of the new yamaha motors, with that said he is working on new yamaha motors with new technology. he help create the yamaha wireless controls which uses an iphone to help steer and control the yamaha. he has been chosen by yamaha to work on a new motor for yamaha.

so what he did with this johnson was he converted the motor to oil injection plugs just like how yamaha did for their motors. he removed the VRO and put oil injection plugs. so he took the oceanrunner and pretty much made it a yamaha.

i will be getting the boat tonight and will be doing a sea trial with him.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

run.................

dont walk

no one but him will ever be able to work on that motor

and when his great design falters......what happens to a 2 stroke with no oil???

turns into scrap aluminum

lets see pictures

bob