Cylinder Heads 1996 150 Johnson

dogface7

Recruit
I have a 1996 150 Johnson and the cylinder heads have never been off. I am told that changing the Gaskets (O-rings) is over due. The motor runs really good but compression is around 90 psi.
I am planning on honning the heads, but regardingthe o-rings...is a gasket sealer used, and are there any inherent difficulties in this project? Same goes for the t-stat seals. Thankyou. Saltidog

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: Cylinder Heads 1996 150 Johnson

First off yu need to post the model number of the engine so that the gurus will know the engine you are talking about. If the engine is running well why would you want to fix something if it's not broke? That compression may be very good for that engine. Others will chime in that can guide you on what if anything you need to do. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The compression sounds good. If it's running good leave it alone and the orings don't have to be changed. Who told you about changing the orings ?????

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

yes, I have heard that the V6 loopers of that style didnt have a lot of compression new...if the #s for all the cylinders are with in 10 psi...id leave it alone...

if you pop the heads and install new o-rings, you might end up not sealing the thermostat opening and or the water passages.... and your heads may leak... then you got issues YOU caused

if the compressions is off by much more than 10 psi..id do a decarb abnd re-run compression, and if it still wasnt even.....THEN id go the route you are thinking of

bob