is my boat cooling right?

bogginyota

Seaman
I just bought a 97 maxum 1900 xr with the 120 force and before we go out in it I was wondering if the water is coming from all the right places?IMAG0633.jpgIMAG0634.jpgIMAG0637.jpgIMAG0638.jpgIMAG0633.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: is my boat cooling right?

If your worried about overheating and water flow. Change the impeller. It should be changed every year or 2.
Idle/ in gear about 750-800 in the water,motor warm.
In the drive on the hose about 1100-1200.
Test your alarm system. Ground out the temp sensor and see if the alarm sounds. Key on.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's also coming from the pisser and the prop.
"
iT DIDNT LOOK LIKE IT WAS SHOOTING WATER OUT LIKE IT SHOULD TO ME , HARD TO SEE IN THE PIC THOUGH ..iT WILL THROW A STREAM OUT IF WATERPUMP IS WORKING WELL .. iD DEF.. CHANGE IT , EVERY BOAT IVE BOUGHT WICH IS TWO NOW HAD TO DO IT NORMALLY PEOPLE LET EM SIT THEY STIFFEN UP AND DONT WORK RIGHT !!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

All the water "leaking out of the lower and mid section is normal.

As long as the water is making it up to the motor, and coming out the telltale, and also finding its way back out the prop, you should be ok.

The idle relief holes on the back of the mid section, only spritz or dribble a little water. The older 85 and 125 hp would spray water out there, but not so much on the newer 120.

But yes, change the impeller if you are not certain it was done in the last year.

Also, check/replace your thermostat.

bogginyota

Seaman

"
iT DIDNT LOOK LIKE IT WAS SHOOTING WATER OUT LIKE IT SHOULD TO ME , HARD TO SEE IN THE PIC THOUGH ..iT WILL THROW A STREAM OUT IF WATERPUMP IS WORKING WELL .. iD DEF.. CHANGE IT , EVERY BOAT IVE BOUGHT WICH IS TWO NOW HAD TO DO IT NORMALLY PEOPLE LET EM SIT THEY STIFFEN UP AND DONT WORK RIGHT !!!

i had two more pictures but they were to big to upload for some reason. the pisser is shooting a nice hard stream.

bogginyota

Seaman

All the water "leaking out of the lower and mid section is normal.

As long as the water is making it up to the motor, and coming out the telltale, and also finding its way back out the prop, you should be ok.

The idle relief holes on the back of the mid section, only spritz or dribble a little water. The older 85 and 125 hp would spray water out there, but not so much on the newer 120.

But yes, change the impeller if you are not certain it was done in the last year.

Also, check/replace your thermostat.

Thanks for helping me find some peace of mind with all the water coming from the lower unit, I only expected water to come from the prop, pisser, and the holes on the mid.

What would happen if i didn't run a thermostat?

Should my motor have an alarm/beep go off when i turn the key to the on position?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for helping me find some peace of mind with all the water coming from the lower unit, I only expected water to come from the prop, pisser, and the holes on the mid.

What would happen if i didn't run a thermostat?

Should my motor have an alarm/beep go off when i turn the key to the on position?

Some motors run ok without a thermostat, some don't get up to temp and run poorly. Likely only a problem if you are running in very cold water.

Not sure if you should have a beep when you turn the key. If you hear a beep, and then it stops, its ok. If it keeps beeping, its bad.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

No beep on that unit. Later Force/Mercurys might.
Yes no mater what the water temp use a thermostat.
Your motor was designed to run at a certain temp for optimum performance.
Test the overheat system. Key on, ground out the orange lead on the connector plate.
Should make a noise under the dash(depending on boat).

bogginyota

Seaman

Thanks for all your input to my questions. My temp alarm test worked and our maiden voyage was perfect. The motor pissed hard all day with no alarm. On the way back to the dock it was very choppy with a stiff head wind she ran about 42mph on the gauge @ 5100rpm with 3 people and half a tank of gas. Seems about right to me. Over all I feel like I got a good starter boat that runs like a top. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with a me, it is much appreciated .