Best way to flush impeller pieces - 5.7 GSi

Glevans1

Seaman Apprentice
While preparing my 2000 VP 5.7 GSi for the season, I noticed that the old raw water impeller was missing almost one entire vane. Before I set off looking for this debris, I was wondering if there are one or two ways to do this that are better than others. Where should I look first? Thermostat housing? What is the best way to flush? From where? Is it possible that the pieces passed all the way through? I will try to attach photo to give some idea. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 0

Glevans1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best way to flush impeller pieces - 5.7 GSi

OK. I took the end plate off the heat exchanger and found a small piece right there. Not sure if I should remove the heat exchanger to look for more as I'm not sure of what kind of access there is to the passageways. Any ideas?

quintonwatts

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best way to flush impeller pieces - 5.7 GSi

By my reconing so long as the thermostat in the thermostat housing is clear then the rest should pretty much be just pipework or metal moving parts (circulation pump) which woould chew through smaller bits. So I'd go for the thermostat hosing to check that as if it is blocked / restricted will have an effect on the overall circulation.