Outdrive identification needed

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need the gear ratio of an outdrive on a boat that im looking at purchasing. The serial number is 0B684894. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive identification needed

1987 Alpha I, 1.32 gear ratio. Behind a 454 I bet. Searay?

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don. It is behind a 454. An 1987 baja 240 sport. I have been depating between this and a 1987 donzi z25. The guy with the donzi wants 10k which i think is a bit much however it is in good shape. The guy with the baja is willing to take 7k and the boat is imaculate. Only issue I have here is to start with i dont know how much i trust an alpha one behind a 454 i have heard both sides of the story ... "it is junk" and "I have yet to have an issue". Both boats show well and are in the era im looking for and size. Both come with Aluminum I beam trailers that are in good condition (both could use tires).

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would this particular drive be the Alpha one SS. If so what is the difference between the SS and a regular Alpha one?

Don S

Alpha I's are rated for 300hp, 454's start at 330. Do you want to buy a zoom boat that you have to operate the throttle with control so you don't take out the little coupler or the smaller drive?

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alpha I's are rated for 300hp, 454's start at 330. Do you want to buy a zoom boat that you have to operate the throttle with control so you don't take out the little coupler or the smaller drive?
So you think either try to get the boat really cheap or keep looking for something with a bravo. To be honest im not really looking for a "zoom" boat. just something a little bigger than what I have now. I really like the way the late 80's boats are layed out. I do know it is the 330 454 and the motor is a 2001. I will have my kids on the boat with me almost every weekend so I honestly doubt that there will be a whole lot of WOT time. For my use do you think I will be ok with this type of set up or should I just keep looking?

Don S

WOT isn't the thing that kills the drives, it's the slam it down full throttle starts that takes things apart.

You know how you plan to run it, I don't so it's not my place to recommend one drive over the other, Merc only used alpha drives on the big blocks for two years, then they came out with the Bravo drive.

There are people that destroy the alphas behind the big blocks and those that don't because they take it easy on the drive.
You get to make the choice, you know you, I don't.

Stick around, there will be people coming along that will tell you what to choose.

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stick around, there will be people coming along that will tell you what to choose.

lol.

So the hole shots are what kills it I take it.

Im just trying to make an informed decision.

On another note how difficult/expensive would it be to swap it to a bravo?

Don S

On another note how difficult/expensive would it be to swap it to a bravo?

Replace everything from the flywheel back.

Go to this link and look at transom shield and drive prices, that's new ones, I don't keep up with used prices.

Yes, the hole shot is what normally kills them, but heavy boats and high loads on the props and high speed is is also a problem.