15 hp outboard

Jon123

Cadet
Ive heard of people tuning their outboard motor just for trolling. How does one tune their motor for trolling?
My 15 hp outboard trolls fine and I was wondering if someone can explain this to me. Im new to the boating scene and all so any information about this would be great.

thanks

kbait

Commander
Re: 15 hp outboard

Some folks use a step hotter spark plug to reduce fouling.. mainly on points ignition outboards. If yours is '77 or newer (CD ignition), the recommended plugs are fine (as long as they aren't surface gap type.. you'll want to switch to electrode type plugs in that event), and there's nothing else to really 'tune' for trolling, unless you wanted a lower pitch prop to increase rpm's at trolling speed.. usually not needed with J/E 9.9/15hp's, as they'll troll slowly all day at very low RPM's.

Jon123

Cadet

Some folks use a step hotter spark plug to reduce fouling.. mainly on points ignition outboards. If yours is '77 or newer (CD ignition), the recommended plugs are fine (as long as they aren't surface gap type.. you'll want to switch to electrode type plugs in that event), and there's nothing else to really 'tune' for trolling, unless you wanted a lower pitch prop to increase rpm's at trolling speed.. usually not needed with J/E 9.9/15hp's, as they'll troll slowly all day at very low RPM's.

Kbait thanks for the information. I though It was more complicatated then that, Just a switch of spark plug:) too easy that's something I can do.
Thks again

Rick.

Captain

Some also increase the plug gap from .030 to .040. I have never had any issues trolling all day with mine. One thing I always do though. At the end of the day I run full throttle for five or ten minutes just to clean out the unburned residue. Otherwise you will have oil dripping from your lower unit drain hole and/or prop. for days. Best of luck. I hope you enjoy your engine. Rick.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Give it a few more seafoam treatments (decarbon) if you troll a lot. It cannot hurt.

Jon123

Cadet

Some also increase the plug gap from .030 to .040. I have never had any issues trolling all day with mine. One thing I always do though. At the end of the day I run full throttle for five or ten minutes just to clean out the unburned residue. Otherwise you will have oil dripping from your lower unit drain hole and/or prop. for days. Best of luck. I hope you enjoy your engine. Rick.

Thks again for the advise, I"ll make sure to do that when I'm done trolling.