2000 Ford Focus cruise control

TilliamWe

Banned
My wife bought me a 2000 Ford Focus SE a month ago, and the ad said the cruiser control only worked "occassionally" or something like that. So I have tried it out. It's tyhe kid where the light on the dash doesn't light up when you push the "ON" button. After you push the "ON" button, you push the "SET" button and the light lights up on the dash. However, the cruise is not engaged. I found the cable that goes from the module to the throttle body, and it appears that it's missing some retaining clips, as it's just laying on top of the engine and stuff. (I have seen other broken retaining clips for hoses and such) So it's not "anchored" to anything, except the module and the throttle linkage.

So could that be the issue? Or will it be the control module itself? Thanks.

Last edited:

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 2000 Ford Focus cruise control

Is the engine the SOHC SPI or DOHC Zetec?

If it's a Zetec, this is what the cables should look like at the throttle body;
Ztec TB.jpg

The red arrow points to the clip that holds the cruise cable to the bracket. If it's damaged/missing, that's a problem. Any other clips or holders along the length of the cable only serve to neaten up the engine compartment.

If the clip is there, than chances are there is a problem with the controller/servo assembly, and if it's any consolation my Focus (where I got the picture from) has a bad assembly it's self...

TilliamWe

Banned

It's the Zetec DOHC. I appreciate the photo I think those clips are all in place, as the cable is attached to the linkage. But I'll look real close, soon. So you don't think the things that "route" it could affect the way it operates?

Does your green cruise light come on when you push the "set" button? If so, then I can't rule out a bad control module, darn it! :(

RogersJetboat454

Commander

So you don't think the things that "route" it could affect the way it operates?
Not a bit. Like I said, all they do is tidy up the engine compartment. All the cable needs for support to work is one end clipped into the bracket on the TB, and the other end twists onto the top of the servo assembly.

Does your green cruise light come on when you push the "set" button? If so, then I can't rule out a bad control module, darn it! :
Yes it does. My cruise started acting intermittent, then stopped acting all together. I took the cable off the top of the servo assembly, and gave the actuator a twist. Felt like nobodies home (like gears are stripped or broken).

TilliamWe

Banned

1. Yes it does.
2. My cruise started acting intermittent, then stopped acting all together.
3. I took the cable off the top of the servo assembly, and gave the actuator a twist. Felt like nobodies home (like gears are stripped or broken).

1. Darn it.
2. Sounds like what the previous owner experienced. :(
3. I'll try that too, and I'll test the ones at the salvage yard, when I go there in Friday.

Thanks for the insights!

TilliamWe

Banned

I found this on a Focus forum. Mine came back with 4 flashes. (his paranthetical mentions wheel speed sensors, but that's NOT what controls the cruise system.) So I have to do a little more diagnosis under the hood.

Maybe you can try it out on yours and see what it says:

"If it's a manual, don't depress the clutch. If it's an automatic leave it in park. First, turn the ignition to the accessory/run position but don't start it. Press and hold the CC off switch and then repeatedly turn the ignition from run to off and back to run again, you should do this 3 or 4 times. End this sequence with the ignition in the run position and then let go of the off switch, and you should see your CC light blink once, which means it's ready to run the self diagnostic. If it flashes 5 times at this point then it's a faulty speed control module, which is that servo I mentioned above. Quickly after the light blinks (like a second after), you then need to hit the other cruise control buttons in this order, and you will need to hit them fairly quickly for the test to proceed:

1. On
2. Resume
3. Coast
4. Set/accel

The CC light should blink once after each button you hit. Kind of take your time hitting the buttons and it's easier to keep track of the flashes, which is important at the end because you need to count the number of flashes that come after you hit "set". There won't be an immediate flash after you hit "set", there will be a slight delay, and then will come another short series of flashes. This next part is all verbatim (except for the parenthesis) from the Ford guide I'm translating here.

0 Flashes (no flash after last button is pushed): suspect circuitry or speed control steering wheel switches.
1 Flash: Static test passed (cruise control should work)
2 Flashes: BPP (brake pedal position) switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or the brake or clutch pedal was applied during test.
3 Flashes: Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged.
4 Flashes: Indicates the speed signal circuit is open or damaged (wheel speed sensors, ETC)
5 Flashes: Suspect circuitry or module."

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I found this on a Focus forum. Mine came back with 4 flashes. (his paranthetical mentions wheel speed sensors, but that's NOT what controls the cruise system.) So I have to do a little more diagnosis under the hood.

Maybe you can try it out on yours and see what it says:

"If it's a manual, don't depress the clutch. If it's an automatic leave it in park. First, turn the ignition to the accessory/run position but don't start it. Press and hold the CC off switch and then repeatedly turn the ignition from run to off and back to run again, you should do this 3 or 4 times. End this sequence with the ignition in the run position and then let go of the off switch, and you should see your CC light blink once, which means it's ready to run the self diagnostic. If it flashes 5 times at this point then it's a faulty speed control module, which is that servo I mentioned above. Quickly after the light blinks (like a second after), you then need to hit the other cruise control buttons in this order, and you will need to hit them fairly quickly for the test to proceed:

1. On
2. Resume
3. Coast
4. Set/accel

The CC light should blink once after each button you hit. Kind of take your time hitting the buttons and it's easier to keep track of the flashes, which is important at the end because you need to count the number of flashes that come after you hit "set". There won't be an immediate flash after you hit "set", there will be a slight delay, and then will come another short series of flashes. This next part is all verbatim (except for the parenthesis) from the Ford guide I'm translating here.

0 Flashes (no flash after last button is pushed): suspect circuitry or speed control steering wheel switches.
1 Flash: Static test passed (cruise control should work)
2 Flashes: BPP (brake pedal position) switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or the brake or clutch pedal was applied during test.
3 Flashes: Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged.
4 Flashes: Indicates the speed signal circuit is open or damaged (wheel speed sensors, ETC)
5 Flashes: Suspect circuitry or module."

Thanks for the tip. I've done this before, and get 0 flashes.
You can hear the module buzzing when it's attempting to run the self check.
IMO it's still a module issue.

Buttons on wheel turn cruise On/Off, Set turns light on when attempting to set cruise, other buttons flash cruise light during test. They should be good.
Brake pedal still cancels light on dash. Should be good.
Vehicle has no ABS, cruise works off the VSS signal. Speedo still working, and VSS PID on scan tool indicates proper speed, so the VSS is working fine.
Cable from module to TB is intact.
What doesn't happen is the gas pedal doesn't drop when performing the test. Part of the test is actually running the servo to check cable/servo integrity.

I assume this module is networked into the PCM, or maybe the instrument cluster, since it needs to read data from the VSS. Would have been smart if Ford had also integrated the TPS signal into the test, and monitor TPS voltage to see if it changes when the servo is actuated. Doesn't seem to be the case...

If I feel ambitious sometime, I may pull it out of the car, and open it up to see if the problem can be visualized. Other than that, I'm gunna live with it till I can get to a boneyard, or I find a reasonably priced module.

TilliamWe

Banned

I'm going to see if I can locate the vehicle speed sensor on my car, and on one at the junkyard. But I think the same as you. The light lights up on the dash, so the system is trying to work. The brake pedal makes it go off. So it really seems like the "mechanical" connection between the module and the throttle bracket, to me. But hey, I am not a Ford engineer! ;)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'm going to see if I can locate the vehicle speed sensor on my car, and on one at the junkyard. But I think the same as you. The light lights up on the dash, so the system is trying to work. The brake pedal makes it go off. So it really seems like the "mechanical" connection between the module and the throttle bracket, to me. But hey, I am not a Ford engineer! ;)

If your VSS was toast, the PCM should be throwing a light, the speedo won't work, and the transmission will shift harshly.
A used one is a gamble too. Most of them that I've encountered are usually frozen into the trans-axle, and need ALLOT of persuasion to remove. The type of persuasion that usually results in the VSS being busted as a result.
Save your rubals... ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

I thought the same thing about the VSS being bad, that it obviously controls other things. And the car runs properly and shift great. ;)

TilliamWe

Banned

Here's what mine cruise control servo looks like, after I removed it from the car:

Notice 2 different part numbers! Got to love Ford!

Here's what the inside looks like:

And here's the problem, after I busted the case all up with a sledge hammer, while my 7 year old son helped!

I didn't get a photo of it, but the case was cracked, and obviously moisture had gotten in at this location:

TilliamWe

Banned

So when I got it apart, None of the gears would turn. Since the case was cracked, I broke the center gear, to see if the cable end was bound up, (it wasn't) or to see if the electric motor would turn (it wouldn't).

TilliamWe

Banned

Yes it does. My cruise started acting intermittent, then stopped acting all together. I took the cable off the top of the servo assembly, and gave the actuator a twist. Felt like nobodies home (like gears are stripped or broken).

I've got a test for that, rogers. I can remove the cable from the throttle body arm, and push/pull it. The piece inside that the cable attaches to has two places that stick out, thus limiting how far it can turn. So after you push it in so far, it should "clunk" as it's hits the side of the case. Same thing when you pull it. I *think* that all the gears stay engaged, so that would mean the electric motor isn't seized up either, which was my problem.

My big issue now: the salvage yard I go to got FLOODED a couple weeks ago, so I am not sure I want to purchase and electric part that was submerged. But my little test and inspection of the unit should help me decide.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

My big issue now: the salvage yard I go to got FLOODED a couple weeks ago, so I am not sure I want to purchase and electric part that was submerged. But my little test and inspection of the unit should help me decide.

Photobucket pictures aren't showing for me above.

I should think given the spot that the actuator lives, it should be fairly water tight, but the jury's out on standing water.
I know most bone yards have a no returns policy, especially for electrical parts. But in light of their flood, maybe they'd be willing to make an exception for you (I'd want it in writing if they did).

TilliamWe

Banned

I fixed the photo links.

The unit is sealed pretty well, except for around the cable housing. In the close up, you can see it's a "twist and lock" type fit? Well, on the previously submerged junkyard one, that's where the water had gotten in. On mine, the water got in through a crack in the case, where the electric motor was, that's the rust you see in the last photo.

TilliamWe

Banned

So I am going to either buy one from e-bay, or wait until my local junkyard gets rid of all their flooded inventory and gets all "new" cars! ;)