conversion of aluminum boat from inboard to outboard

Oldstarcraft

Recruit
I've started working on a project to convert an 18 ft. Offshore Blank Starcraft which originally had a 140 OMC inboard to an outboard. the wood was rotten and had to be replaced anyway. I sold the inboard motor for what i payed for the whole boat so i'm back at 0 cost.<br />my question is if anyone has done this type of conversion before and what advice they can give regarding transom reinforcement, proper transom height,transom angle,material etc. I would like to leave the original outer sheathing of the transom intact except for cutting down the centre if possible so as not to disturb the side rivets as the boat has no leaks an i'd like to keep it that way.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: conversion of aluminum boat from inboard to outboard

Go ahead + Replace the transom,+ Fill the outdrive hole with plywood like you took out....<br />Then instead of cutting down the transom, Build an outside the boat Bracket...... If you cut the transom down to the usual 20", or newer motor 25", You'll need to build a Splashwell inside the boat, up to the gunnel heighth or so...<br />I think you'll find an engine mounting angle of about 15* will work very well for most outboard motors....<br />For material, I'd be using Screwed,+ Epoxy Glued P/T Plywood.....<br />For transom reinforcement, I'd build a set of knee braces, from the stringers, up onto the transom to where the Outboard Bracket is bolted on the outside.....

Oldstarcraft

Recruit

thanks for your input Bondo any advice is greatly appreciated, I think I'm going to try to build a splashwell and incorporate the transom reinforcement into the design so both the transom and splashwell are supported.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

or bolt a SeaDrive on there, that would roll right along ... of course, you have to do the reinforcement mods mentioned, but its pretty much bolt on and go once you get the transom beefed for the job!

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I have converted my 17' Chirs Craft to an out board had an 86 OMC 140 Inboard now have Johnson 140 outboard on it. Works pretty well can't really tell any difference and Easier to work on!