fitting water pressure guage to 60hp evinrude

phillnjack2

Ensign
Hi guys.

I have a 1995 evinrude 60hp the 56cu in model no BE60TLEOC
ive got the later tell tale pipe fitting on the top of exhaust housing and like the idea of fitting a
water pressure guage along with water temp guage.
Ive got the temp guage and fitted that to original threaded hole in top of cylinder head on
the right hand side.
Now for water pressure Instead of using the T fitting in the tell tale pipe would it be ok to use the
fitting on the exhaust cover that used to be a tell tale outlet on older model engines. ?

The reason i ask this is because using a T- fitting in the tell tale is not going to be anywhere near
accurate as water will still be going out the tell tale and only half the pressure to the guage if im lucky.

Is there any reason not to use the old threaded housing piece on the side of exhaust for water pressure guage. ?
This would still allow exactly the same water out of the tell tale, just that i will have a reading of pressure
before it escapes from the exhaust housing.

pic below to show old exhaust threaded hole for tell tale on earlier models.
DSCF9706.jpg

phill.....:)

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: fitting water pressure guage to 60hp evinrude

must be someone here knows if this will work

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think it matters where you put it. Water is not compressible much like any fluid and the pressure should be the same everywhere in the system. JMHO

phillnjack2

Ensign

yes i cn see what your saying
but if fitted on a T -piece then the presure could not be very accurate as there would be atleast 50% of it
escaping from the tell tale going over board.

would it be better to use the tell tale pipe to the guage and not have the t piece thus not having the tell tale go
over the side and build up the real pressure to the guage.
surely this would be a more accurate measure of the pressure of the water.

Also is the tell tale a measure of pressure before it enters the cylinder block ?
or after it has been round the block and the heads and on its way out of the engine ?

phill

mottster1517

Recruit

Hey phill, I too am installing a water pressure gauge on my motor as well, although it is a 70 hp., it to has the updated tailtell outlet on top of the exhaust manifold,like yours and the plug for the early set up as well. Was wondering, did you use the t or did you route from the early plug outlet on the manifold?? thanks mottster