1969 Chrysler...need advice!

thelowbudget

Cadet
Hey guys this is my first time posting here, Here is my situation I recently purchased this boat for $250 bucks. I would like to restore it but I am scared to go any farther than I have already. So far i have ripped out the floor, stringers, and I have cut part of the back engine cowling away. To my dismay I have found alot of transom rot and this part scares me I dont know whether i will have the recourses to pull this engine out. I am 17 years old and therefore on a limited budget, I was excited to do the deck and stringers but the transom scares me. Also the volvo motor runs well and it even pumps water. It is a volvo aq120a and a volvo 200 outdrive it has only one issue to my knowledge and that is a cracked exhaust riser... this part is $140 online. I am comfortable with the wood and fiberglass work but pulling out a sterndrive is something that i am going to do alot more research on. I have recently cut new stringers and my total investment so far is about $400. Should i just try to sell it or should I go head first at this project? Please any advice or thoughts on this project would be great! I actually have all the floor and stringers ripped out but for some reason it wouldn't let me upload them sorry. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0

matt167

Captain
Re: 1969 Chrysler...need advice!

Pulling the motor/ drive should be no more involved than pulling the engine/ trans from a car, just a little different. If you can build a gantry, you can use that with a $50 chain hoist to pull the motor. If you can pull the boat off the trailer and set it on blocks and get it nice and low ( or put trailer frame on stands without wheels ), you can probably use an engine hoist. Your probably looking at 1 extra sheet of plywood, and fiberglass supplies extra. As with any project, take the amount you expect to spend, and then double that to get what you will spend before it is complete. I would have expected the transom to be gone on a 1969 boat.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Matt is right it shouldn't be that difficult but if you decide to sell it where are you located I am a glutton for punishment especially on a Chrysler. BTW I use my carport to pull my motors with a chain hoist.

briangcc

Commander

Nice looking project!

Here's a tip...sign up for a Photobucket account. Once you upload your photos there, copy the IMG line into your post so that we get larger pictures to assist you with your project.

I would say go for it. Get the engine pulled using a home made gantry with chain hoist or find a local tow truck driver that would pull it in a few minutes. Depending on where you are located you may find a local farmer with a tractor that will pull it for you.

As for reinstalling the engine - go for it. The worst that's going to happen is that you'll have to take it to a marina to have the engine and outdrive aligned. Otherwise, Don S seems to be the go-to guy for Volvo questions so I bet if you ask he can walk you through anything you need to know.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Is this the boat that you REALLY want to own for a number of years? Closed bow runabouts are a bit limited in their usefulness. The structural repairs will cost you a grand at minimum plus all the niceties like carpet and seats and then you've still got a boat with a really old I/O system that may be tough to find parts for. If you like this boat a lot and do want to restore it, we'll be here for you but I just wanted to check.

thelowbudget

Cadet

Wow guys! Thanks for the expedient responses. So heres the deal I live in San Diego so I plan use use this boat in the local lakes, bays, and the eventually I would like to take this boat to the inshore kelp for fishing. I want to keep a very economical design with this boat which basically means I don't need any fluff or extras and no carpet. Just a boat motor and solid hull... perfect for salt water fishing, lobstering and surfing. I am selling my 12 foot aluminum on craigslist today so that will be the majority of my funding, along with my job. I took some more pictures today to show the boat as it sits today so here they are so you can get a better idea. And yes i do really like the style of the boat so I think this is a good project for me even though the utility might not always be prime.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like typical Chrysler boat work for the time they were still transitioning from Lonestar boats at the time. I say go for it but if you can find it or figure out a way to do it I would put in a closed cooling system before you take it out in the saltwater or you will be doing more harm than good to that motor.

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

Removing the outdrive and transom assembly is not too bad a job. I was lucky and borrowed a cherry picker from a friend, but I think you can get one from harbor freight for about 150$ if you can scrounge it up.

thelowbudget

Cadet

Does anyone know the make or model I cant find anything exactly like it online?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd be very suspect of that motor. If it was a good runner I might consider a restoration, but without knowing for sure that it ran almost perfectly, I'd Pass on this one. You could easily dump 2K and still not be on the water.

thelowbudget

Cadet

The motor runs... the fist time I started it it took a while but now I start it every so often and it fires right up. I also did a compression check on it and all the cylinders checked out ok. Also it pumps water like a champ.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know the make or model I cant find anything exactly like it online?

Post up some pictures of the entire boat and if you have the HIN you can pm it to me and I can have a friend look it up.

rickryder

Commander

What's you boat sitting on right now? If it's a roller trailer you better brace the hull....a better thing would be a cradle.