mounting new trolling motor on a bass boat

ky_boater

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a new minn kota trolling motor to replace a motorguide. When I pulled the motorguide off of the boat the holes don't match up with the minn kota. I also noticed that the motorguide was using rubber pads to protect the trolling motor from the boat. I looked at some of the minn kota trolling motors up at bass pro shops and it looks like those are mounted directly onto the bow with no padding, etc.. Just wondering if I should leave these rubber pads in place or do I need to purchase something for the minn kota.

I attached a picture of the rubber pads and the holes they leave when they are removed. Is there anything you would suggest to fill in the large holes before mounting the minn kota?

Thanks.

photo.JPG

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: mounting new trolling motor on a bass boat

That's the first I've seen those rubber mounts. My previous boat had a "Gator" mount for the Motorguide trolling motor and i don't think I remember seeing isolators like that.

I used a Minn Kota MKA-32 quick release bracket for the troller on my new boat, they make other models as well. I really think that the composite shaft is forgiving enough to not need rubber isolators on the mount. Maybe one of the Minn Kota quick release brackets will cover all the holes from those isolators. Then I would probably fill the holes in with some white silicone sealant if they're not too big. I've attached some pics that I had of my motor mounted to the bow of my boat.

Attachments

• LH boat pics 003.jpg
    LH boat pics 003.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 1
  • LH boat pics 001.jpg
    LH boat pics 001.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1
  • LH boat pics 002.jpg
    LH boat pics 002.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1
  • MKA-32 Bracket.jpg
    MKA-32 Bracket.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1

ky_boater

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks.

After lining it up again, I can get 4 holes to line up but the front doesn't stick out the front of the bow far enough. I will try some sort of silicone / patch on the current holes and plan on redrilling new ones.

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're not familiar with it, there is a great marine material manufactured by King called "StarBoard". It's a polymer sheet material used by many boat manufacturers for interior panels, doors, seat bases and other things. It's available in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Many popular marine supply stores carry it. It would work as a good base platform and cover your holes. You can work the material just like working with wood. It can be a bit pricey, but you will do the job only once as the material is is impervious to the marine environment.

Here's a link to their website:

King StarBoard? | King Plastic Corporation

Maybe something like this might help.