Transom cut??

The Rez

Cadet
Ok pulled old motor off boat found that old owner cut transom down 2 inches and accross about 8 inches. Question is do I need to replace the whole thing or can i just get the small section repaired.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Transom cut??

We'll need to see pics of that... would also help if you told us what kind of boat it is.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If it's a fiberglass boat and you have a pieced in transom it would be much better to replace the whole transom than to try to do a "band-aid" piece job.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 2 inch splice would have no strength in any repair type of that you intend to put thrust and weight forces on.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Need more details on what you are trying to accomplish? Have you determined if the existing transom is solid and not rotting?

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Also maybe there was a reason for cutting the transom like it has a short shaft motor and needed to be cut for proper placement. So pics will help greatly with being able to determine this. Pics of the motor transom and boat. We love pics.

The Rez

Cadet

I will try to get pictures this weekend I know the transom is solid all around

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Pics...we need pics...

First of all, does the cut down transom affect the position of the motor in a negative way? Cavitation plate too high or low?
Is this simply a cosmetic repair? Or, is it structural?

Then...

IF :and only, IF...
The transom is in excellent condition, meaning no rot way down low, or any where for that matter...and it is solid through and through...you have two more options besides replacing the entire transom to gain just two lost inches...

You can add a manual jack plate...OR, if the motor has multiple mounting holes, you could make your height adjustment that way, if there is enough left...another option would be to re-drill the mounting holes in the transom to change the elevation of the motor and seal up the old holes with some PB/4200/5200...

We'll be here waiting for pics...:D

The Rez

Cadet

rubber mallet was used to check, floor was replaced 2 years ago new wiring, running lights last year the only thing now are the seats, top for it,and fuel tank. and fix or replace motor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Tapping the transom with a rubber mallet will not give you valid indications as to the condition of your transom. Moisture meter or drilling core samples on the inside are the only true and accurate methods that I am aware of. The transom is one of the most critical structures of your boat, and IMHO you should make totally sure of it's structural integrity.