led not bright

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer
i bought some super white leds from ebay.... i have 20 leds to a 12v but its not as bright as like the new flashlight with like 6 leds... am i doing something wrong

photo.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: led not bright

What are the specs of the LEDs you are using? Just like light bulbs, every LED puts out a certain amount of light. From the looks of it, the LEDs you have are just panel indicator type LEDs which won't put out much light at all.

By the way, most of the high power flashlights use just one very high powered LED and these high powered LEDs often have to be surface mounted and their heat dissipated through a heat sink.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Those LEDs are only 24mw at 3.0V forward voltage. Of course they won't put out much light. 0.072W each.

Sure hope you are putting dropping resistors on those.

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

Those LEDs are only 24mw at 3.0V forward voltage. Of course they won't put out much light. 0.072W each.

Sure hope you are putting dropping resistors on those.

lol no its 4 led for 12v.... i have the resistors but its not on .... do i really need them???

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have 4 in series, you don't.

Not sure what you are trying to do with these but if you are using these for lighting, these aren't what you want.

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

nothing really just something to do in the winter thats all....... wich one can i use if i want long range lighting????