6 HP "Sailmaster" lower unit question

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Forum,
I have a "new to me" Johnson 6 HP "Sailmaster", model J6SLCOB, a 1985 20" shaft. Doing a waterpump service, as no history of maintenence came with motor. I have never done this before so I have a couple questions. I have removed the lower unit, and the 5" extension came off with it, as I assume it is supposed to. Now how is the extension secured to the gear case? The only bolts I can see are 2 small ones on the cavitation plate, just above the prop., right near the zinc anode. These bolts do not look like they are holding it on, but I see nothing else. Second question: The copper water tube that comes up out of the top of the impellar housing of water pump remained in the upper part of the motor, when I seperated the lower unit. From what I have read, it is supposed to remain attached to the water pump, when I dropped the lower unit. How do I deal with that? Any info is greatly appreciated!:eek:

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 6 HP "Sailmaster" lower unit question

I am a novice also, but it just so happens that I tried to replace the waterpump on my Johnson 4.5 hp Sea Horse long shaft today (I say tried because the housing was cracked so I wasn't able to finish). From what I can see from the diagrams online your engine looks exactly like mine so I would say it is the 2 small bolts that you located because that was the setup on my engine. FYI, the directions that came with my OEM impeller kit showed those 2 small bolts (3/8in) holding the lower unit on.

This is the third impeller replacement I've done and the water tube always has stayed in the upper part of the motor (the other 2 I've changed are a 3.5hp Tohatsu and a 3.3hp Mercury).

I'm sure someone can explain it better, but it sounds like you are on the right track.

WillemWallace

Seaman Apprentice

Hi domaotc,
Thank you for the reply. Maybe I should clarify on the two small bolts I am referring to. There are three bolts that must be removed in order to drop the lower unit. One 9/16 going down into lower unit from above, and two 3/8 going up from lower unit into midsection. I have these removed and the lower unit is free. How do I remove the 5" "longshaft" spacer from gearcase? There are two small bolts on the bottom of the gearcase cavitation plate, just above the prop. Do these hold that spacer on?

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, the 2 small bolts hold the spacer on a long shaft in place; I had to spin my prop out of the way to fully extract them.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Thank you for your help!

When you reassemble it fit the 5" extension to the leg first and then the gearcase. If you do that you will be able to locate the water tube in the top of the water pump more easily than reversing the way you disassembled it.

You disassembled it correctly though because the dive shaft does not slide through the bearing in the extension until its cleaned up a bit.

The grommet at the top of the water tube is a PITA. Worth also pulling the power head and replacing that grommet. Corrosion squeezes it over the top of the tube and blocks off the water flow.

See my reply to an earlier post you made

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-ev...ar-engine-6hp-belgium-591673.html#post4108764