'83 35Hp Evinrude Max Spark Advance & Linkage

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Please bear with me as this is the 1st time using the Joe Reeve's WOT timing procedure and I'd appreciate your confirmation (and/or constructive criticism!) that I did it correctly!!!

The factory service manual calls for 30-degree maximum spark advance at WOT...so I should be getting 26 degree's using Joe's method.

The only timing light that I have is one that I inherited from my late grandfather which involves running the charge through a long, bare spring (YIKES!! :eek:)...normally to a spark plug however Joe's method calls for a spark-tester with plugs removed.

Coil #2 was grounded with the white jumper wire.

MaxSparkAdvance 20130224 _MG_0552.jpg

I activated the solenoid using regular 2-pole switch.

The initial test resulted in a 28-degree MSA. First of all, I was pretty stoked that this 40 year old timing light still worked...and also that it was so close to what Joe predicted!!

I retarded the SA by 2 clockwise turns of the cam-stop.

Sure enough, the right-edge of the pointer hit 26 degrees (simulated/illustrated below).
MaxSparkAdvance 20130224 _MG_0553.jpg

This cam-stop adjustment resulted in my throttle being partially closed at WOT:
MaxSparkAdvance 20130224 _MG_0555.jpg

Therefore I adjusted the collar screw moving it a smidge towards the nylon block.
MaxSparkAdvance 20130224 _MG_0556.jpg

The throttle plate lays perfectly flat and there is no binding.
MaxSparkAdvance 20130224 _MG_0557.jpg

I then verified that the throttle still just starts to open when the cam-roller is positioned between the 2 marks on the cam.

The question is, did I do this correctly and is there anything that you would do differently?

Thanks in advance!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: '83 35Hp Evinrude Max Spark Advance & Linkage

Sounds good to me.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Thanks for the confirmation Joe...and thanks a bunch for posting such useful information!!

Although it's cool to be using the same timing light that my pap used on his '73 Chrysler NY-er back in the day...I'll likely bite-the-bullet & get an inductive timing light for field testing :)

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Blue Fin, where is the cam stop that retards or advances the timing?

Also, did you ground out the #2 cylinder by sticking a jumper wire in the spark plug wire and connecting to a ground.

Thanks. Rich

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hello Blue Fin, where is the cam stop that retards or advances the timing? Also, did you ground out the #2 cylinder by sticking a jumper wire in the spark plug wire and connecting to a ground. Thanks. Rich

Rosentreter.... The "rubber tipped spark advance stop screw" that retard/advances the timing is attached to the port manual starter support bracket.

The question about the grounding of the other spark plug wires.... I started in this line back in 1960 and have been knowledgeable of the solid state ignition systems ever since they came into existence in 1968 (battery capacitance discharge), and the system that is being used today (magneto capacitance discharge) that began in 1973. I understand your concern about grounding the other plug wire(s) and that the manual does state to do so.

However I have never bothered to do so (nor did the instructors at OMC when I was there) and I have never encountered a feedback problem that resulted in damage to any of the electronic components.

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe,

Also, in your thread about timing 4 degrees before max advance(mine is 30 degrees) you spoke about a "timing base". I am thinking I don't need that since my timing marks are on the flywheel and I have the marker on the starter bracket.

Thanks again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I didn't say "timing base"... I said "Timer Base".

The timer base is the moving object bracket under the the flywheel which advances or retards the timing when the throttle is moved one way or the other. I recommend locking that into the full spark advance position when doing the timing procedure.

The timing marks are always on the flywheel and another aligning bracket.

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe,

How would I advance the timing if the timing is at 24 degrees but cam stop is not touching the timer base at full advance?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

How would I advance the timing if the timing is at 24 degrees but cam stop is not touching the timer base at full advance?

I do not fully understand the question. However, you are listing a problem under someone else's topic. Start a new post so that it is under your own title which will be at the top of the list. As it stands, I don't know what engine you're speaking of nor if that degree setting is as per the factory full spark advance setting etc... you need to take the time to spell it out in detail in order to obtain to receive a practical answer.

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe, I figured it out. The motor is a 1980 Johnson 35hp. I did not have it in gear thus the gear shift linkage was locking the timing base(advance). I put in gear and neutralized the neutral safety switch, it timed at 26 degrees(max advance is 30 degrees). I did not have to squirrel around with it.

Rich