Installing 3/4 in. casting deck

dano1215

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I have a 16'6" ft. sea nymph. I have removed the center bench and have ran aluminum stringers for the flooring supports and structural stength.My question is about building a front casting deck using the 2 front bench seats as support.Iam using 3/4 in. on all.Should I also use stringers between the 2 seats or will 3/4 in. plywood be sufficient.Iam really starting to worry about wieght.I have a 25 hp. that is going on it. Any input will be helpful.

Thank you

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Installing 3/4 in. casting deck

Hi dano. You'll probably be fine without adding extra supports, but if you're worried you can fab some out of 2" x 2" stock and/or 1/8" aluminum angle. Make sure you only use NON-Pressure Treated wood, then seal it with epoxy, oil based exterior paint, or spar urethane and attach it to the hull using stainless steel hardware dipped in a bit of 3M 5200 marine caulk. You can get everything you need at lowes/HD.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Non treated 3/4" plywood weighs approx. 75 lbs. per 4'x8' sheet, pine might be a little heavier and fir will be a little lighter.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

You should be good with the 3/4" ply as long as your not cutting out hatches in it. If you can find it, get some marine ply, it has 7 layers and is very strong compared to the standard 4 ply AT. I would cut it to fit and then stand on it first before screwing it down. If it sags, creaks or seems weak then I would just use some of the remaining sheet to make an "I" beam to support underneath the center of the span.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

The Auruco plywood at Home Depot is also 7 layers and exterior glue is used and 1/3 the cost of Marine Plywood.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Aurco is good stuff if you can get it. As a matter of fact, you can get just about everything except the epoxy from HD. Gotta love those tinnies ;)