78 power pilot won,t go in reverse and won,t start by key?

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice
just got my motor back its a 78 115 . tried putting the cables back on and the controls won,t go into reverse and the key won,t start the engine. the choke activates and i,m getting power to the engine but won,t start by key. i read theres a reverse lock and i understand the motor won,t start if not in neutral but it does go into neutral at least the motor does i don,t no what the remote is doing i guess it feels its not in neutral or it would start? but how do i get it to go into reverse? having trouble with the allen bolt on the box also?????:D

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 78 power pilot won,t go in reverse and won,t start by key?

Did you by any chance install the shift and throttle cables reversed (backwards)? When you move the single lever control, the first cable to move would be the shift cable.

When you turn the key to the START position, what happens?

You hear the solenoid click in but the engine doesn't crank over?
The solenoid clicks in and the engine cranks over but won't fire and start?
The starter solenoid does not click at all?
What??

We need a more thorough explanation of what you're encountering.

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

I don't think so I took a picture of it and I'm pretty sure I put them on correctly. The key will not make any noises in the motor except the choke . It's acting like its not in neutral so it won't start the motor. It will go into forward but not reverse . There was a small spring and a plastic little ball thing sitting in the bottom that may be the problem? I'm having problems getting the Allen bolt off or I'd know more about it. Plus the cables are not on the motor .

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

It's acting like its not in neutral so it won't start the motor. There was a small spring and a plastic little ball thing sitting in the bottom that may be the problem?

In the bottom of what... The control box? If so, then yes, you've got a control box that has not been assembled properly. The spring and ball would be the indent components that snap the shift cam into neutral. The cam must be in neutral before the control handle is installed in a vertical position (if the control handle was removed).

Shifting the engine when it is NOT running.... you must spin the propeller while doing so to line up the shift lobes of the dog and gears.

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

I really can't do much till I get that bolt off to see if anything else is going on.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Remove the control handle allen screw. In its place, install a long 1/4x20 threaded bolt but do not tighten it down. Smack the head of that bolt with a hammer in order to jar the handle loose, then of course remove the bolt.

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

I may have to drill it out its not budging ill try tonight and see what happens thanks for all the correspondence .

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

If I wasn't spinning the prop how can I correct that when I do get the motor started . Cause I definitely wasn't spinning the prop.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the engine running, there's no reason to spin the prop..... everything in that lower unit would be spinning.

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

But if I was shifting it into forward and back to neutral a few times with motor not running will that miss align my gears without spinning prop ? I can't engage reverse but I did put in forward a few times. It's been pouring rain here do I won't be working on her tonight , but ill get on it tomorrow .

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

I got the Allen screw loose took handle off , I'm really no further along than before. I'm pretty sure the ball and detent screw is wear my issue is , but Im still not real sure what may be wrong yet. I did find the neutral shift button which i may try pushing in and turning the key tomorrow and see if it will fire the motor . But still don't have the reverse thing figured out.