Best way to remove rust?

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
My used boat came with an alumimum float on trailer. Both drop down torsion spring axles are badly rusted on the bottoms of the axles. None of the rust has holes in it so I feel pretty confident it is only cosmetic. What is the best and most efficient way to remove this rust and what would be a good rust resistent paint to apply. I was thinking of brushing on the paint to get a better thickness of paint instead of spraying it on. Also, does it pay to put a primer coat on first before going to an aluminum colored top coat?

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Best way to remove rust?

I like a grinder to remove rust then Rust oleum rust reformer followed by rust oleum paint.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A good way to remove rust is with an angle grinder fitted with a stiff wire brush wheel.
A good way to keep it from coming back is to pick up a gallon of IPI "Rust Killer"

I've used both to take care of some rust spots on the hull of our houseboat. The Rust Killer is a rust "converter" that turns the rust and metal black, and coverts rust into a paintable surface. It actually works best if there's some residual rust behind. I'm satisfied that it works because when working on the boat I painted some test spots on the boat trailer. Those spots are still black and rust free after 3 years. It's all the rust proofing you should need, but some gray or red primer before your final paint can only help.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Start with something like this:
Fluid Film? | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
It will melt the rust off and inhibit the new formation.
If in a couple of weeks your not happy with the results then you can go though the process of painting.
Sanding/wire brush, acid treatment (to get into the pits from the rust), prime and paint.

Painting a trailer is one thing, painting the bottom of an axle that will get scrapes/chips in the paint the first time on the road is another.

huts

I_5320

Seaman

After a lot of research here's what I used for my trailer.

1. Wire Brush loose stuff.
2. Use Ospho rust coverter. Ospho.com (I called several ACE stores. They don't all carry but they can order quart size) this stuff coverts rust and sorta blues the bare steel. Mop on but wipe exceess after 30 min it leaves a film and you paint right over)
3. Rusty Primer (Rustoleum Spray or Brush, zinc Red type )
4. Top Coat with Quality Paint. I painted my trailer with Rustoloum Hammered but you can use any Enamel spray or brush

Note, Rustoleum is good but takes 30 days to fully cure.

IMHO only thing better may be Por15 or Rust Bullet.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most rust converters do the same thing. FWIW I buy Rust Killer simply because it (was at the time) the cheapest. Rust Bullet supposedly takes care of rust differently, but IMO not differently enough to justify $150 plus costs for the other stuff they want you to buy vs. $48 a gallon for Rust Killer.

As for paint, also based on my experience with our SkipperLiner: Sherwyn-Williams industrial enamel. You can roll it on and it smooths out like you sprayed it. Pick a color and they'll mix you up however much you want...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sometimes its not the rust you see that gets you, its the rust you cant see that does.

I am guessing you boat in the ocean, Florida and all? so areas like the spring hanger eyes in between the leaves and inside of axle tubes, ETC were moisture and salt collect, but cant be rinsed/cleaned with fresh water is where I would be concerned.

Otherwise as was said wire wheel on a grinder works great.

bigdee

Commander

Paint is a temporary fix at best. Like someone else said “it is the rust you don't see that will get you”
In my experience rust converters beat the hound out of grinding,brushing,priming and painting in situations where a smooth finish is not desired. I use rust converters directly over rust...the more the better as long as it is not layered and flaking. If you want a color other than black, paint will effectively stick to this stuff.