JasonJ and his "Skanky Beast"

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBull

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1969 Glastron 156 (85hp Evinrude) that I wanted to 'fix up'. It floats, it goes, its F-ugly! Initially I was looking for tips on painting, and a little bit of glasswork where the bottom has rubbed against the sand when I run it aground. I saw your post about your boat and started back tracking, following your project. Quite impressive, I showed my wife your pictures to give her an idea what could be done and hope I would not screw this up. I would like all of them, but after a certain point I cannot view the pictures?! If you could send them to me, I would be one happy boating Newbie. While looking in the forums, I have learned a lot in general and belive I have more work then I initally thought. I have a million questions, but will wait until I have a digital camera (borrowing one) so I can send pictures to detail my questions. I would greatly appreciate your help and opinions. If I can I may follow in your tradition of posting pictures from beginning to end, maybe someone will get a kick out of mine too :) Thanks for your time, Ian in Alaska

JasonB

Lieutenant
Re: JasonJ and his "Skanky Beast"

Not JasonJ, but I'll toss some info in. That little 156 is a great boat. There is a site, classicglastron.com, where you can get pics of the boat as it was new. I have its big brother, the 166. They are made very similar. I have a gallery or two of pics that may help with some of your questions at:Gallery 1 and here: Gallery 2. This may give you an idea what's under the floor in your boat and how she is put together.<br /><br />JasonJ and a couple other projects on here have me wanting to build a plywood center console in a couple years.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Ask and ye shall recieve.<br /><br />Here she is the day I brought her home. Ugly as sin.<br /><br />
silverline2.jpg
<br /><br />Here she is the day I tore into her. I cried and cried, then I planned and planned.<br /><br />
floorrot.jpg
<br /><br />Took the motor, controls, and upper deck off. The suffering begins right now.<br /><br />
topoff.jpg
<br /><br />Suffering complete, time for misery.<br /><br />
preppedhull.jpg
<br /><br />Resin is plenty sticky and smelly. More misery, but the transom is in.<br /><br />
glassedtransom.jpg
<br /><br />Stringers set in, ready to glass.<br /><br />
newstringers4.jpg
<br /><br />Upperdeck prior to cutting out side consoles and splashwell.<br /><br />
upperdeck.jpg
<br /><br />Upper deck after cutting out side consoles and splashwell.<br /><br />
upperdeck2.jpg
<br /><br />The rest should be visible in prior posts. I bought the boat last August, it sat under a tarp until this January, I tore it apart in January/February, and then had to sit until April when it was warm enough to glass. The rest is history.

WeBull

Recruit

Thank you both for responding! It is both encouraging and depressing to see pictures of such fine boats that where once wrecks. To further drive me insane: could one of you respond with a ball park number on how much it cost you to do all the work you have done? Just curious, thanks for the quick responses.

JasonB

Lieutenant

In Fiberglass materials, foam, wood, screws, etc. I have about $300-350. I probably have $100 or so in paint and supplies, including trailer. Outside that, I have $150 in new steering, $70 in new seats, and $50 in new wire, switches, fuse block, etc. Also about 3 months of spare time.<br /><br />None of it is too difficult, it just takes time and patience.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I spent roughly $1300, not counting purchase price of boat, (the amount keeps going up every time I think about it because I buy something else for it) to get the boat from beginning to end. I paid $850 for it originally. I had to use 30 square yards of mat, a few square yards of roving, 11 gallons of poly resin, several hundred stainless screws, 1 5/8 sheet ACX ply, 2 3/4 ACX ply 3 1/2 ACX ply, 1 1/4 ACX ply,, two foam kits, rubberized floor paint, new wiring and switch panel, new steering wheel, seat cushions, hardware, it just went on and on. I had budgeted about $1500, and came in under, thankfully, but this is a project that is technically not complete. When I pull it out in Fall, I will be painting it white above the water line, and using bottom paint below the waterline. I also have a few areas I want to redo on the hull before painting, I still need to make a windshield, and I still have to do the trailer. It never ends....

JasonB

Lieutenant

I fully agree JasonJ. It never does end. I have two so I get hit double.....

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

try swingin three of those bad boys ... I figure Ill have the SeaCraft done by the time I retire ... in 2027!

Walleye King

Seaman

WEll I never saw these picks of either Jason's till today and THANK YOU!! I am relieved and grateful! I read alot of posts on here and the runabout renovation book and no where did I see that it was okay to pull the top deck and and gut the boat and keep it off while replacing the stringers.<br /><br />I was alittle worried about going that route but I took width dimensions every 6" prior too and after removing the top deck, might have been extreme but I wanted to be safe. I like the room with the deck off and couldn't see a point why I couldn't replace the stringers with the deck off, now I am relieved!<br /><br />Bull I have spent so far $235 for resins and glass from Express Composites. $228 for 3 sheets 1/2" marine ply, 1 sheet 3/4" Marine ply, 3 Douglas fir pressure treated 1"X6"x16' for stringers, and 2 douglas fir 1"X4"X12' for cross bracing. The original deck had no cross braces, but the new design does. Paint, primer and supplies $176.<br /><br />Good Luck! I swear I will get pic's posted soon!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Walleye, I was worried about replacing the stringers with the deck off, but I had no choice, I wouldn't have been able to get to the front part under the bow seating floor otherwise.

alwaysblazn

Cadet
Way late to the party, but I’d love to see some
Pictures. Everything is showing up in code. It sounds like you did an amazing job. I’m in the process of rebuilding an 82 beachcraft from the floor up.

Status
Not open for further replies.