Those crazy guys

The Rooster

Ensign
Re: Those crazy guys

Yea, I've seen that one before. Looks almost suicidal. Anybody that can handle smaller vessels in those kinds of following seas is good. Can't even imagine the amount of force against that rudder !!!:eek:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... If that don't make ya seasick, I don't think anything could....

Wanta Ride......:laugh: :faint2:

foodfisher

Captain

Hardy souls. The only way I'm going to experience that is through these videos.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What am I missing? Are they mugging for the camera? Looks like they are purposely staying in the surf? Further out looks like less cresting waves and just consistent swell.

No doubt that is a wild ride, I guess I am just asking why they would be staying put in the crashing surf. Newbie here with no real rough stuff experience.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

What am I missing? Are they mugging for the camera? Looks like they are purposely staying in the surf? Further out looks like less cresting waves and just consistent swell.

No doubt that is a wild ride, I guess I am just asking why they would be staying put in the crashing surf. Newbie here with no real rough stuff experience.

Those boats aren't built for speed. Sometimes if the tide is going one way and the wind the other, you can get stuck making little or no headway at all because you just don't have the power to push through it. Been there done that, no fun!

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They are fishing at the mouth of a river. That is why they are staying there.

OrangeTJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"Dyin' ain't much of a livin", said Clint Eastwood. That' just nuts! How in the heck could you actually do the fishing part when you have to work so hard just to stay upright and afloat?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

They aren't fishing, they are fighting their way to shore..... they look to be sitting still because they are being filmed from a long way away with nothing solid in the pic to give perspective and being overtaken by the waves but they are going forward as fast as they can.

My comp monitor is 47" and there are no lines in the water... if they are fishing then they are hoping the fish will be washed onto the deck LOL

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

They aren't fishing, they are fighting their way to shore..... they look to be sitting still because they are being filmed from a long way away with nothing solid in the pic to give perspective and being overtaken by the waves but they are going forward as fast as they can.

My comp monitor is 47" and there are no lines in the water... if they are fishing then they are hoping the fish will be washed onto the deck LOL

I think they are also hoping their :puke: will be washed off the deck! :lol:

Ned L

Commander

Sloppy, but not that bad. They are doing a good job of it.As has been said, those boats aren't built for speed, but in addition to that you wouldn't want to come running in quickly in that weather. As long as the waves move faster than the boat you are better off poking in slowly to make sure the waves pass under the boat. If you come in at "steaming speed" you have more of a chance for the wave to pick the boat up and carry it (like surfing). That is where you get into trouble with loosing steering and broaching (as is seen at least once). -- By loosing steering I don't mean loosing the rudder, I mean loosing the effectiveness of the rudder so you have no control. - In real nasty weather there can be times that it is actually better to back your way in an inlet to make sure you don't broach.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class

"not that bad"
LOL
have a look againat 21 secs...1.44 secs...303 secs or where the 2nd boat is side on to the waves...or just watch the whole thing again..
would feel like 'six months in a leaky boat' to me..
if l was silly enough to be on that thing l'd be squatting in a corner somewhere sucking my thumb while cuddling a dead, slimy, smelly fish AND calling for mummy...

those kiwi's are nuts..

Ned L

Commander

Yea, ... I watched it the first time. Comfortable , ... NO, but they were not in danger of rolling over. ("Side on to the waves" and going over is called "Broaching", and that is obviously what you want to avoid). Yes, there are a number of times when they began to broach some, but they were never close to roling over. If you look at the hull shapes as they move through the water, they are deep hulls with little in the way of superstructure and top hamper (low center of gravity & high center of bouyancy = good stability). Not fun, but could certainly be worse.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Same boats, same area, different perspective. Has interviews of the crew as they talk about what they were doing - fighting the flow of the river going out to the ocean....I can't bloody understand them though!