Milky Oil - 2006 Sea Ray - Merc 4.3L TKS

texaus007

Recruit
I decided to run my boat on muffs this weekend. I checked the oil before starting and it looked good. I ran the boat for 5-10 minutes at just above idle and shut it down. I checked the oil and my stomach sank, milky, mocha looking oil. I can't believe it. I had all 5 drain plugs out of the engine/cooling system over the winter. I will say that I did not run antifreeze through the cooling system before winter. We have fairly temperate winters here in Austin and I've never performed that step before. Anyhow, I'm assuming it's a cracked block. I will be attempting to rebuild it myself. I will need a lot of help from everyone here to make this happen. I have very little experience with boat engines/drives. I would rank my automotive repair skill level as intermediate. I've replaces brakes, rotors, wheel/axle bearings, radiators, steering components, interior mechanical components, minor transmission stuff, drive axle u-joints, rear differential fluid, various sensors, and of course normal maintenance stuff (oil, spark plugs, belts, etc...).

My first task is going to be to pull the sterndrive (alpha one). I've read a lot on this procedure and I think I've got it. But I'm open to any tips or tricks. Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Milky Oil - 2006 Sea Ray - Merc 4.3L TKS

I decided to run my boat on muffs this weekend. I checked the oil before starting and it looked good. I ran the boat for 5-10 minutes at just above idle and shut it down. I checked the oil and my stomach sank, milky, mocha looking oil. I can't believe it. I had all 5 drain plugs out of the engine/cooling system over the winter. I will say that I did not run antifreeze through the cooling system before winter. We have fairly temperate winters here in Austin and I've never performed that step before. Anyhow, I'm assuming it's a cracked block. I will be attempting to rebuild it myself. I will need a lot of help from everyone here to make this happen. I have very little experience with boat engines/drives. I would rank my automotive repair skill level as intermediate. I've replaces brakes, rotors, wheel/axle bearings, radiators, steering components, interior mechanical components, minor transmission stuff, drive axle u-joints, rear differential fluid, various sensors, and of course normal maintenance stuff (oil, spark plugs, belts, etc...).

My first task is going to be to pull the sterndrive (alpha one). I've read a lot on this procedure and I think I've got it. But I'm open to any tips or tricks. Thanks!

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... How high did the oil Level get in that 5/ 10 minutes,..??

I don't care if ya pull the drive, as it probably needs servicin' anyways, but Don't tear into the motor just yet...

tpenfield

Staff member

Yes, keep the engine in one piece for now. As Bond-o said, try to get a measurement of how high the oil came up in the 5-10 minutes.

Cooling system pressure test is probably the best way to check for the crack/leak, etc., but it is often difficult to set up a pressure check.

BTW - If this is a cracked block . . . I guess it would support the rationale for running anti-freeze through the engine as well as draining it.

texaus007

Recruit

I guess, I shouldn't get to far ahead of myself. I'm open to all suggestions at this point. I like the idea of pressure testing the engine/cooling system, but I have no idea how to set it up. I know how to do it on a car, but since it's not a closed cooling system, I'm not sure how to proceed. Would I block off the fresh water hose at the transom? What about the exhaust side? How could I just pressure test the engine block? Where would I attach the pressure tester? Lot's of questions, sorry.

texaus007

Recruit

I didn't get a good reading as to how high the oil came up. I was so frustrated that I just pumped it out. I did change the oil/oil filter and it turned milky again. At that point I just put the cover on it and walked away. I'll try to get a better reading on the oil level. What will that tell me by the way? How severe of a leak? But even a small crack will result in the same outcome right???

tpenfield

Staff member

since the new oil got milky right away, probably means a decent sized leak. . . you could check the intake manifold bolts, just for kicks.

for a pressure test, see if you can block off the hoses to the exhaust manifolds and apply pressure to the intake hose.