Oxidized gel coat

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oxidized gel coat

For long term results...

Wash thoroughly with TSP
Wet Sand starting with 400 grit for high oxidation 800 for mild oxidation
Follow with 600, 800 and 1000 grit
Use VS Polisher with rubbing compoune followed by Polish.

She'll shine like a new one.

Time and Effort are required. Lot's of "Band Aid" methods but this is the only TRUE way to do it.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... or sand it, 'n paint it....

Btw,... Welcome Aboard,...

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Oxidized or “Badly” oxidized are very subject words. Without pictures, it is hard to really know what you are talking about. I suggest starting with the least invasive technique possible and see if you are happy with the results. It is always possible to use more aggressive technique to cut more gel if you need to but it is very hard to recover from too much unnecessary wet sanding by spraying more GelCoat.
Last year I used 3M Imperial Compound on a buffer & wool buffing pad to buff my 28 footer and I was very pleased with the results.
3M Imperial Compound.jpg
No wet sanding was required. Use this method on 2*2 area and see if it will do the trick. If not, try with more aggressive compound first before you resort to wet sanding. Something like this…

3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound.jpgThen you finish it with a finer compound like Imperial. Best of luck to you.

1FASTLASER

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pics are worth a thousand words. There are some boats that are beyond buffing and/or wet sanding and that should be determined before going forward. For instance boats that have metal flake in them can be very difficult to bring back to life without taking out a second mortgage. If you can actually feel the metalflake for instance the boat is actually to far gone to bring it back to a real good shine. Now I am not saying that it wont bring back some of the shine....of course any attempt will bring some results. Boats that are just a solid color respond better for the most part to wet sanding and buffing.
Post up a couple of pics of the worst areas so that we can better give you a recommend.