Outboard ran without water

1995evinrude

Recruit
I ran my 95 Evinrude 115 with water muffs but the muffs accidentally fell off without me noticing it. The engine stopped on its own with visible smoke coming from the top. I was not able to restart it. What kind of damage is suspected here and what should I do to diagnose and repair it?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard ran without water

Worst case the motor is history, either it needs a total rebuild, or just major repairs.

Best case the head gasket blew and it died, could be that simple. You will need a new water pump impeller though.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You may have suffered an overheat lockup. (pistons (heat up) expand so much they lock up inside the cylinders.) Now that the engine has cooled, check the compression. That should give you a good indication of any internal damage. If the compression is ok, see how it runs-after you replace the impeller. You did not mention which model you have. In 1995, OMC made both a 115 looper and a 115 crossflow.

1995evinrude

Recruit

You may have suffered an overheat lockup. (pistons (heat up) expand so much they lock up inside the cylinders.) Now that the engine has cooled, check the compression. That should give you a good indication of any internal damage. If the compression is ok, see how it runs-after you replace the impeller. You did not mention which model you have. In 1995, OMC made both a 115 looper and a 115 crossflow.

Thanks for the tip....I will try to do the compression test. When doing the compression test, does it matter if I hook it up to water hose or not? The model number is E115TXAOR.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your engine is a crossflow type. You do not run the engine when you do the compression check, so no, you do not need to hook up the water hose.