Need help with a new CD-RW install.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
After posting earlier about recording YouTube audio, I successfully downloaded and converted an audio to MP. I went to burn it to a CD and discovered that the computer I am using did not have a CD-RW drive. I rooted around the backstock and found a brand new Buslink CD-RW drive, unopened, in the box.

I installed the drive and XP duly noted it's existence. I set out to burn the MP3 file and nothing happened. I went and got a fresh CD-R and tried it. Nada, no action. Then I went and got a music CD and inserted it. The drive lights flashed for a while but nothing happened. I then inserted a Nero Burning Rom disc that came with the CD, with the same results.

When I open Windows Explore, it shows the drive but when I click on it, with the program CD installed, it shows nothing, ie, no files or data.

I then went to Device Manager. It showed the drive, identified correctly and stated that it was all in working order.

What am I missing? The directions state that for the drive to work with the CD-R, RW functions that you need to install the included program. The only CD that was supplied with the unit was the Nero CD, so I assume that all that was needed was included on that disc. However, as I mentioned, nothing happens or shows when I insert that CD.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with a new CD-RW install.

What kind of interface are you using to connect it to the motherboard? If it's IDE, are there any other drives attached to that ribbon cable?

Did you install the driver that came on the disk or did you use the driver that Windows XP installed automatically?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It is the same IDE cable that was attached to the read only CD Drive. There is another IDE cable that came with the unit but I did not use that. It is just the way it came from Dell, in 20005. There is nothing else attached to the cable. If I remember correctly (just yesterday when I installed it) the CD is plugged into the first connector on the cable.

I let XP find the new unit so I assume it is using the XP drivers. It shows set up and ready to go, in Device Manager. When you insert any CD, ie, blank, music or program, the drive light flickers for a while but nothing happens or nothing shows when you look at the drive in Windows Explore. If the unit came with specific drivers they must be included in the Nero Burning Rom CD, as that is the only CD that came with the drive. However, as I mentioned, when you insert that CD nothing happens.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you go into your BIOS on boot up does it see it?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Check the BIOS to make sure it is recognizing it, then google the brand and make sure you download the latest drivers for it, if I remember that brand was not on the market for a long time, but there should be generic drivers that it runs with. Rarely do I find that hardware in XP is plug and play, you always need to find the current drivers for it. With XP being phased out, it is going to become more and more difficult to use older hardware, even if it is new, never installed.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Uninstall the driver and the software which came with your drive. Go to the manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for that drive (don't rely on CD). Install new driver. Verify the jumper is installed correctly on the drive- should be slave if Hard drive is on same IDE cable.
Test functionality by letting windows control the burn process vs Nero - nero causes lots of issues IMO so if you are not burning dvd's, just rely on windows. I wouldn't even install any of the software which came with the drive.
Post up results.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Uninstall the driver and the software which came with your drive. Go to the manufacturer's website to download the latest driver for that drive (don't rely on CD). Install new driver. Verify the jumper is installed correctly on the drive- should be slave if Hard drive is on same IDE cable.
Test functionality by letting windows control the burn process vs Nero - nero causes lots of issues IMO so if you are not burning dvd's, just rely on windows. I wouldn't even install any of the software which came with the drive.
Post up results.

Answer to bruceb and MT. In the bios, under Drive Configuration, it shows "secondary Master Drive-CD ROM device".

Augoose, I have not downloaded anything that came with the drive because nothing happens when I put the CD in. The CD unit is the only device on the secondary IDE cable. I did not check the jumper on it but I assume it was set for master.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Boom,

Which connector on the IDE do you have it plugged into, normally IDE cables have two connections, if this is the only device on that cable, you need to make sure it is at the end of the termination point to operate properly.

matt167

Captain

Jumpers need to be set right, for most cases cable select works and is set that way from the factory, but other times I'v had to manually select master or slave depending on which drive it is on the cable. I don't 'think' mixing IDE revisions makes a difference except I know that you can't use the older cables on the newer ATA/133 drives, but the drive and cable are both most likely ATA/133..

With it detecting and showing up as good in the device manager, it could only be defective hardware or a registry error. Part of the registry can cause an issue and it takes deleting the upper and lower filters from the optical device tab ( not labeled as such ) in the registry editor. It's an easy search thru the microsoft KBB to find the correct directions. It's a common problem in Vista/7/8 but exists in Windows Xp.

If you have a windows or linux disc, see if you can boot it. Another side note is the old drives drivers might be conflicting, so it may be best to remove and reinstall the optical drivers

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Augoose, I have not downloaded anything that came with the drive because nothing happens when I put the CD in. The CD unit is the only device on the secondary IDE cable. I did not check the jumper on it but I assume it was set for master.

Sorry, meant to say uninstall whatever drivers windows installed and then go to the manufacturer's website for updated drivers. I would recommend checking the jumper too.
Good luck!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boom,

Which connector on the IDE do you have it plugged into, normally IDE cables have two connections, if this is the only device on that cable, you need to make sure it is at the end of the termination point to operate properly.

I'll have to go back in and check MT. My recollection is that it is plugged into the first connector on the cable. Which ever one I used, it is the same one that the original CD drive used. Could the cable ribbon be different for the R-RW drive? There was a new one in the box but I did not use it.

I'll also delete the driver and let XP load a new one. I would have thought it would have done that, if necessary, when I first turned it on and it found a new device.

I'll also go back and check the jumpers.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I gave up. Something is not right. It turns out that the Drive is not the one that should have been in the box. It has been sitting down on the shelf for some years and it looked like it was unmolested. I even had to rip open the accessory pack but the drive itself was a Verbatim, not a Buslink. I should learn to make notes on boxes when I do something like this.

Bottom line, I opened up the computer, switched the shunt and switched the cable connector and it still did not work. I re-installed the original drive and it played CD's just like it should.

I have now moved my project over to my loud monster computer to finish my project of burning the YouTube Video to a CD. Thanks for the inputs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The good news! You can buy these for around $20 or buy one that also does Blu-ray.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, Bruce, I'll check next time I am down near Fryes. On reflection, I think that I got a store return that someone pulled a fast one. That box was so neatly packed and the peripheral bag had never been opened. I think someone bought it, swapped drive units and took it back for credit,

Thru the nite, I could come up with no recollection other than I bought it and never tried to use it.

btw, I was successful in burning my audio CD on my other computer, That is after I discovered that my TDK unit did not like a huge stack of sony discs that I have, I had a smaller package of GQ discs and they worked. This was not the issue, however, on the first computer,