GMC Sierra 1500, RAM 1500 or who is the best?

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to pickup a 2006 - 2009 truck 1500 or 2500 4X4. Looking for who has better towing capacity and payload. Does anyone have a sight that compares trucks? I want to here the truth!

Thanks,

Currently at 19' Bayliner Capri.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: GMC Sierra 1500, RAM 1500 or who is the best?

Specifics on a trucks tow capability are all relative to how the particular truck you're looking at was equipped. Gear ratios, engines, transmissions, and tow packages all figure into that.

Find the specific trucks you're considering buying, get as much information about that truck as you can, than look up the spec's.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

How much is the tow weight...very relative to the conversation

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here we go! This one is gonna require some watching.

Um, how about a Tundra?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Well this may help you sort out. This is about as clear as it gets. Ever truck had different specks depending on just how it is equipped so here is a chart. You can look it up from there once you have the truck information.

Truck and SUV Towing Capacity Charts

UncleWillie

Captain

Another site you might try. Towing Guide!

Enter Year,Make and Trailer Load, and it will return all the models that will work.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As has been mentioned towing and payload will very tremendously based on how each truck is equipped.
I will add this. When I was looking at new trucks in 2005 (not much before you time frame) Chevy's were typically lighter when empty. They also usually had a larger GVWR. This meant they usually had the edge for payload. I guess you could make the argument that a lighter truck isn't as strong but I don't think that's necessarily true.
I assume you're looking at gas trucks. I also assume you will be towing. I would recommend you take a look at a Chevy 8.1L big block for towing. I have on in an '01 and it is an excellent engine. You won't find one in a 1500 however.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

:popcorn:
This is going to turn real interesting I think !!! :facepalm:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am looking to pickup a 2006 - 2009 truck 1500 or 2500 4X4. Looking for who has better towing capacity and payload. Does anyone have a sight that compares trucks? I want to here the truth!

Thanks,

Currently at 19' Bayliner Capri.

Based on your boat......... ANY truck or SUV that will handle 4500 lbs will fit your needs. There is no real answer on which fit your needs.....but there are a few factors to look at-

- what you have experience with
- what garage/dealership/shade-tree mechanic you trust and what they recommend based on the past repair records
- you are looking at trucks that are 4+ years old so...... what maintenance records are there

I own a 2000 4Runner which is good to 5000 lbs and my 1995 Chev K2500 is good to 12,000 lbs. My vehicles are older and in great shape because I keep them in great shape. Now......compare them to similar vehicles with poor maintenance and mine win hands down. Are they better then the newest trucks? Yup, they are paid for! ;)

Bottom line....... whatever gets the job done and keeps you happy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

International RXT

163_0506_01l+2005_international_rxt+front_side_view.jpg

jestor68

Commander

Obviously, the Dodge Ram is the better truck.

GUTS, GLORY, RAM!

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

Obviously, the Dodge Ram is the better truck.

GUTS, GLORY, RAM!
+1
i own an 08 dodge ram 1500 with 80k miles 4.7l v8 auto tranny 4 door. never had a wrench touch it other than services. oil changes normal wear items. still on factory brake pads and only replaced factory tires 4 thousand miles ago. not a moments trouble with tranny although i KNEW going in that 1) gas milage sucks 2) trans were weak link. but i loved the styling of the dodge and i had tried chev ford toyota so i wanted a dodge. i figured good or bad i have made worse mistakes and could trade at any time i got dissatisfied. but so far no regrets. also keep in mind that dodge has a real low resale value for some reason. always has always will. knew this going in too. but 4 more payments and shes all mine.. still not a moments trouble.

Jake007

Seaman

Don't forget SUVs. Depending upon your lifestyle they could be a better fit. You get the truck towing with comfort seating and style. Check out the Chevy Tahoe, I just bought a 2011 last year and love it. This is my fourth SUV for towing and my second Tahoe. My last Tahoe was 10 yrs old and flawless.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If you're having to tow very far and you're buying used, I'd suggest going for a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Any of the 3 major brands will do the job, but I'm partial to the F250 Powerstrokes. They're all good, however.

Diesels have a very long lifespan and are very good values if you're going to keep them for mega miles or many years.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't say I have seen many 1970 diesels on the road. What do we mean by MEGA miles and many years? Other than torque, why?

Thanks for everyones input.
If you're having to tow very far and you're buying used, I'd suggest going for a 3/4 ton diesel pickup. Any of the 3 major brands will do the job, but I'm partial to the F250 Powerstrokes. They're all good, however.

Diesels have a very long lifespan and are very good values if you're going to keep them for mega miles or many years.

briangcc

Commander

I've owned a couple trucks (one just outside your years) and pulled the same load with both - my '05 Four Winns.

First up is an '04 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Ext cab shortbed Z71 4x4 with 5.3L V8 and 3.73 gearing out back. It did OK towing the boat but lost steam going up hills. And it hunted in OD. It was a total abomination of a truck. I had so many things break on it, and weird things at that, that I will not own another one. Here's the short list....Front Axle seal, Rear Axle seal, Pinion Seal, Valve Seals, Transfer case solenoid, fan relay, shifter (couldn't engage Tow/Haul), Cut through the harness running to the driver's door using the emergency brake (routed incorrectly at factory), Radio quit working...I think you get the picture. Absolute pig I will NEVER own one again. Just over 120k miles when I dumped it.

Next, is a '07 Tundra DC shortbox 4x4 5.7L with 4.3 gearing (I think, might be 4.1). It does great towing. Don't get me wrong, on a hill I can tell its back there but I can actually accelerate going uphill with this truck. Almost 99k miles on it right now. Only issue I've had is the waterpump let go. I do my own oil changes so I noticed it was leaking and got it corrected under warranty. Other than that, no muss, no fuss.

Now...my buddy has also offered to use a couple of his Avalanches to tow my same boat a few times. I think his current Av is a '11 or '12 with the 5.3L 6spd and 3.43 (or could be 3.23) gearing out back. Let me tell you...it hunts BIG TIME on hills and flat land. It's a step backwards in my opinion. Ammenities are nice inside the truck (if you've driven a Chevy/GMC pickup you've driven an AV) but the hunting was enough to turn me off on these as well.

His previous Av, probably an '07 or '08 did better with the 5.3L and 3.73 gearing through a 4 spd. Lot less hunting. Still lacked the getup and go needed to actually accelerate uphill pulling my Four Winns.

Go test drive a few and you can make your own conclusions...