Do I gel coat or Paint

sailharder

Recruit
Hello, brand new here, first post. Just picked up a project Lightning (19' fiberglass sailboat) about 30 some years old, very solid, no rot, has been painted about 3 times, and has had some firbglass repairs done as up grades, but these were never painted or gel coated, I am sanding the topside down to her original gel coat, (lot of work to get through all the other coats) I would like to do some of the top side in silver/grey colour and white, do I need to go all the way down to the original gel coat in order to re gel coat, or should I sand her with 80 grit then apply a 2 part primer paint then a 2 part deck paint. Which is the best way to go re-gel or paint?? I have experiance with fiberglassing and painting boat but never gel coated.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Do I gel coat or Paint

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd sand it Smooth with 180, or 220 grit, 'n then prime, 'n paint it....

80grit is Tooo coarse...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gel-coat or paint is a hotly contested issue around here. Personally I'd paint it. Gel coating can be more forgiving but it's still a ton of work and seems to require a lot of finish sanding to look good.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read from a couple sources "once painted you can't go back to gel". I don't see why, if you completely sand the paint off. Has anyone had experience with this? I decided to paint the boat I'm restoring now with Algrip, but I have another that has never been painted and I'm considering a re-gel.

Bondo

Staff member

I've read from a couple sources "once painted you can't go back to gel". I don't see why, if you completely sand the paint off. Has anyone had experience with this? I decided to paint the boat I'm restoring now with Algrip, but I have another that has never been painted and I'm considering a re-gel.

Ayuh,.... I don't either,....

Gelcoat, no matter how applied, needs Tons of sandin' to look Right....

Paintin', ya Shoot it, 'n it's pretty much, Done.... with gelcoat, yer just gettin' started....

Trooper82

Commander

My boat was paint on fiberglass in places....sprayed gel on it, I see no issues with it....but then I still have sanding and more spraing followed with more sanding then buffing before it is done...

thatguy

Seaman

Im going with paint on my project, Awlgrip, from the boot stripe to the bridge!

Decker83

Commander

If you do decide to gel coat, you must clean all the old paint off.. Gel coat should not be sprayed, painted, rolled or what ever method used over paint..
Using gel coat will hold up longer in the long run and keep looking better.. I, like Trooper, did the gel coat..
There is tons of sanding and preping.. I used as much acetone as I did gel coat.. You must have the spray equipment that can spray the gel coat.. Large compresor is recomended..
The most important part is the ability to keep up with spraying once you start.. Gel coat is not like paint.. You can not start and stop when you want too.. The gel will only give you about 10 minutes to spray and 5 minutes to clean the spray gun before it kicks off..
The amout of gel coat you think you will use and what it takes is almost double..

If you do decide to use gel coat it will shine like a new boat.. You will be able to take great pride in your work.. You will also pay for that decision with alot of hard work, cost of the gel coat, acetone, sand paper, spray equipment and rags and so on.. Plus the time and a place to do it..

The paint will not hold up as long, but the cost and the work is way less.. You will also be able to take great pride in a job well done by painting..

Do alot of research before making up your mind.. Talk with the experts here and the techs that sell the products..
That is a large boat to shoot that much gel coat..

Good luck with your choice whatever it may be..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

take the george-washington-decision-maker (quarter). flip it. Head you gel coat, tails you paint.