Interior Redesign/Rebuild

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Resto Forum. Some of you might remember me and my 79 Searay SRV 190. I did a stringer/deck/transom job on her during the summer of 2011. After that job was done in the middle of the summer (dying to get on the water), I put new carpet in the boat and threw the old interior back in there. That interior was shotty and ugly, and from the 70's.
current seats.jpg
Forgive the messiness of the interior, I was vacuuming the carpet, doing winter stuff...

So after two years of using the boat with an old interior, I realized that I wanted a nice boat, so decided to get this thing done finally.

So, first a little background. It is just me, the wife, and the dog on our boat during the summer months. Sometimes we might take another couple with us, but it is far and few between. So I wanted to take the interior of my boat, which currently has a dog house with two jump seats on each side of the engine, and two lounger seats in the front (the boat is closed bow) and build a big sunpad, which covers the engine (and eliminates the dog house) and build a bench seat in the front of the engine. Then in the front, I wanted to put in a bucket seat for the helm, and a reversible lounger seat, you know where the back can either face towards the stern or the bow....

Attached are a few pics of the current interior, and an edited picture with a rough idea of what I want to do.

THESE ARE REALLY ROUGH IDEAS. there the only pics I had on my work comp, which is where I do most of my brainstorming! :D
idea for sundeck.jpg

sundeck and bench site.jpg

Any recommendations, hints, or advice is welcome. I wanted to build the bench seat as well. I've seen woodonglass video of his bench seat, and found a few things on-line, but just wanted to get some specific ideas/recommendations for my boat.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks!
Yorke

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Interior Redesign/Rebuild

A couple of thoughts . . .

You could go with a folding sunpad and preserve the seats either side of the engine doghouse. When anchored, etc. you could fold the sunpad forward, covering access to the 2 back seats, and then fold it back when not in use.

If you go with the full sunpad & bench seat, you could make the sunpad and seat all one assembly and hinge it from the back. You could build storage areas either side of the engine where the current back seats exist. You would need some decent gas struts to help raise the entire assembly, which would be fairly heavy.

Another suggestion would be to make a drawing of your interior floor space to see if your various seating ideas will work 'on paper' before you commit to time materials and money.

here are a coule of pics from my old boat that show the rear seat/sunpad assembly

IMG_0720.jpg

454-Engine-pull%20006.jpg

Here is the flip-side of the assembly

454-Engine-pull%20008.jpg

Here are the storage compartments either side of the engine that the bench seat/sunpand rest on.

IMG_0711.jpg

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool idea, the folding Sunpad. That would give a little more deck space. However, how would it support is self when deployed. Would I have to have some little fold down legs or something?

The idea of the bench seat/sunpad assembly seems a little beyond my skills of constructing my self. But a awesome idea, bet it gives plenty of storage space!

tpenfield

Staff member

If the sun pad folded out over the engine doghouse as well as the sides of the boat (coping area), then it probably would not need any additional support.

Radarman68

Cadet

My old Century has the sundeck/bench seat like you are proposing. instead of a hinge for the entire rear deck, Century used three removable cushions.

Attachments

• 2012-09-19 18.42.09.jpg
    2012-09-19 18.42.09.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-09-19 18.42.19.jpg
    2012-09-19 18.42.19.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2012-09-19 18.42.26.jpg
    2012-09-19 18.42.26.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the sun pad folded out over the engine doghouse as well as the sides of the boat (coping area), then it probably would not need any additional support.

I like the idea, but I was thinking that when its folded up, there isn't a lot of space that a folded up sun pad could sit, and not look kinda out of place. I think me and wife are pretty good with just getting rid of that deck space, and sun padding it up and installing a bench seat. I really like the idea of building little storage areas, separated from the engine compartment. Well, as I start getting this going, I will post more ideas, I plan on drawing out the interior, and trying to figure it out.

In the mean time, thanks and keep it coming! :)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi,
Just a suggestion...
I am currently redesigning the entire interior of my old bass boat...
I am going to be using a bunch of cheap, free cardboard and a hot glue gun to mock it all up before I ever cut my first piece of wood...
By doing it this way, you can try different setups, work out the details, all in a full size, real world mock up that makes it easy to visualize...
Once you are happy with the design, you'll have an almost perfect set of templates to build it out...
Have fun!
GT1M

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi,
Just a suggestion...
I am currently redesigning the entire interior of my old bass boat...
I am going to be using a bunch of cheap, free cardboard and a hot glue gun to mock it all up before I ever cut my first piece of wood...
By doing it this way, you can try different setups, work out the details, all in a full size, real world mock up that makes it easy to visualize...
Once you are happy with the design, you'll have an almost perfect set of templates to build it out...
Have fun!
GT1M

Man, that's a great idea. I was thinking of doing something like that, but was kinda focused on getting the real thing. But I think I will take that advice. I'd feel better with templates to cut out, instead of cutting pieces of wood that don't fit right. Thanks!

Radarman68 , Thanks for the picture. Google image search is awesome, but its really hard to focus down to pictures of bench seats in a I/O boat....haha, so thanks for the pic, its going in my interior ideas folder....

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer

IMG_0288_zps87be234d.jpg

Here is a picture of the rear bench setup in my boat. The bench is not attached in any way. It just slides in and out of place. There is no sun pad, but I would love to add one!

IMG_1404_zpsd7b91f57.jpg