value of a used windshield

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
So I was perusing eBay under the search terms Dixie boats, just bored and seeing what I found as I am restoring a Dixie runabout, and I came across a Dixie windshield, the complete 5 piece set just like this

2012-03-30143324-1.jpg

For 500$.

The boat I show you may look nice, but its rotten. She cleans up beautifully, but structure is a different story. That boat has been decommissioned and I am restoring one exactly identical, only I/o instead of outboard. Id planned to keep parts off the old Dixie for spares. Splash well lids, fuel tank, steering, windshield, maybe even the whole cap.

Is this windshield worth that much, though? If it is it may serve me better by being sold to purchase finishing touches instead of keeping for that just in case scenario that will never happen.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: value of a used windshield

If you need a W/S, buy the donor, sell the motor and trailer, salvage what you can and take the hull to the land fill. You might make a little bit of extra cash.

mwe-maxxowner

I don't need a windshield, just wondering if my spare is worth a price similar to what I saw on eBay, or if that was just a very optimistic seller.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I sold one off a 27'er, I think I got $150.

GA_Boater

I got the impression from your first post that was a boat for sale, not just the W.S. But that is your donor, right? You can always ask $500, what you get is what people will pay. If it goes fast maybe you under priced or if you get no calls, over priced. Also the W/S most likely is used on several boat brands and models so include measurements in an ad.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Windshields are one of the MOST costly items to procure ......... to someone that 5 piece windshield is worth the money .......... go ahead and price out just one piece of glass (not counting the frame) at a glass dealer.

mwe-maxxowner

Yes that is my 'spare boat' as I refer to it now haha. It will give parts for my current boat and then go to its grave I think. Even 150 is okay, that is 5 gal of resin!

Sorry for the confusion of my first post. I see how my jumping from the windshield ad to a description of my boat in the picture witb the same shield was confusing.

GA_Boater

I was lucky and got a 5 piece similar to yours, a little smaller I think from a 16 footer for $40. A guy was was selling parts off a donor and I got in at the right time. Like I said - lucky.

etracer68

Ensign

I sold a bayliner W/S in pieces, and got about $300 after I sold all of them, sides, and front three. It was a 1989 with the long sides.