Nissan 90hp hard steering

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the steering cable out to see if this was the cause of the hard steering. When out, it turns easy I could use two fingers to turn it but when I place it back in the tube and hook everything back up, it is hard to turn again. I cleaned out the steering tube and regreased it but it seems hard to turn again. What else could I check. Is it something with the linkage to the Nissan motor?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 90hp hard steering

I bet the motor almost won't turn by hand at all when the cable is disconnected, right? It should pretty much flop around when the cable is off... If that's the case, you probably need to disassemble, clean, and lubricate the swivel bracket. That job may or may not require added heat -- a torch -- to disassemble. Not a job for the faint of heart. You may want to consult a dealer for help with the work.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

What Paul is trying to tell you is that it's a PIA to do and almost certainly best left up to a mechanic...Unless you have 6 hours of free time, a crane, a torch, the strength of a God and know at least three Japanese curse words:)

PS Paul, saw the new 50 Tohatsu 4-stroke in Miami...Prototype will be here by July for field testing.

pvanv

Admiral

Perhaps a few more than just 3 Japanese cuss words. :)

Elvin: That's good news on the 50. Will it be as solid and light as the TLDI? Will you be testing it?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's a small foot print design and should come in at about the same weight. I doubt I'll see it down here. They will be playing with it in Dallas on one of the Tohatsu boats on Lake Z. If they get in a second one I have dibs on it:)

Last edited: