557 hp 6.2L V8 OUTBOARD!!!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Yup! They had um at the Miami boat show. And there was at least one rig with more than one hangin on the back. Seems they took a Caddy V8 did some marine stuff to it and woopiee - we gots a monster - and from the looks of it they put a huge amount of thought and engineering into the package.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 557 hp 6.2L V8 OUTBOARD!!!!!

Built by ex Mercury engineers and they can turn out around 90 per year....Since I'm not a gofast boat guy I think it's silly, but as long as the demand is there you have to give them credit for the vision to make them. Our display was next to theirs at the show and it was obvious that there are people who want them:)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Found this pic:

557outboard.jpg

Clearly, somebody must want 'em.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They've been out for 2 years.

Pricing seems just a bit crazy to me.

557-transparent-cowl.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I saw the MBS video on the sea trials. These suckers are serious power and are not kidding. Purr like a kitten. Oh and for you single guys, the girls were hanging around the dock like......er ah, they were ready to have some fun too......just waiting for an invite to go along for the ride. The wake looked almost as good as mine in my Avatar...............Grin. Well, almost. Big laugh.

Mark

boobie

Supreme Mariner

And geeze, I felt just fine running my 25 hp on my 14 ' alum boat. :confused:

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Found this pic:

View attachment 182865

Clearly, somebody must want 'em.

They had a big article a while back on them in Power and Motoryacht magazine. They custom paint them to match the boat if you want. (no matter how ugly :lol:) I'll reserve judgement on them to see what their durability is as they are crazy expensive.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Considering a single 557 will replace 2 300hp outboards, I think they are right at the mark. Think about it. They are meant to go on fishing boats in the 40 foot plus range. You could power with 4 Yamaha 300s or 2 of these. The 4 Yamahas will be in the $120k range rigged and installed. 2 of the 557 will be in the $140k range. Do you think $20k matters to someone that can afford this class of boat?

The problem for me (besides the cost) would be service. You would need to be near '7's home to get reasonable service. Lucky for 7, there is one or two boaters in South FL that will be willing to plunk down a million dollars for a toy.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Youtube film on the subject at hand;

I wonder if they kept engine management GM, or if they went another way...
If they used something similar to Global OBDII, someone who can service either the Caddy, or Vett that this engine came from should be able to do at least some basic repair work to it.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I saw these motors at the Miami International Boat Show last last weekend Their size is amazing. I used to have a Mercury 3.4 Litre Outboard on the back of a 25' Robalo center Console. I though my motor was big, but these 7 Marine 557's make my old motor look like a kicker motor on a sailboat.

nwcove

Admiral

They've been out for 2 years.

Pricing seems just a bit crazy to me.

557-transparent-cowl.jpg

i think they'd look alot better if they turned those headers upside down and had them exiting the top of the cowl!! :flame:

RogersJetboat454

Commander

i think they'd look alot better if they turned those headers upside down and had them exiting the top of the cowl!! :flame:

Yep, stacks would be cool... Or side pipes.
That way all the people on the lake could "hear the money" no matter where you happen to be.. :facepalm::D