Trading my motorcycle for a boat...my first boat

iMTB

Recruit
Hey everyone, first time posters here.

I recently decided I would like a boat. I listed my motorcycle on craigslist looking for some trades. So far I've found 2 boats that I like, but they are entirely different.

1.) 1997 Seadoo Speedster
2.) 1997 Sea Ray 175 3.0 Mercruiser

I live in Tampa Bay so I have access to limitless amounts of freshwater and saltwater fun. I just don't know anything about boats. My main interest in having a boat is for wakeboarding and fishing. I know neither of these boats are perfectly suited for either, but could do both OK. I'm leaning towards the Sea Ray.

What do I need to look at when I go check the boats out?

In good condition, how much should either of these boats be worth?

What are some other boats I should be looking for? The bike I am trading is a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R so they must be worth a similar amount to that.

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trading my motorcycle for a boat...my first boat

I mean this in the nicest way possible......you need to educate yourself a bit more about boats or you risk losing the entire value of your bike. There are boats out there with completely unsupported powerplants and there are nice looking fiberglass boats out there with complete rotted substructure. You need to learn about these things before you make a trade. You've made the best move by coming here first. Welcome!! What is your motorcycle worth? Also, I know you mentioned it in your post, but please update your profile with your location. Boating advice is quite regional.

iMTB

Recruit

Both boats also come with trailer.

3Ka3M93J35E15F45J5d2d31037dc1070e1cb5.jpg

3Fd3La3I25I85Hb5Jad2id20287e8dcb711c5.jpg

I'm working on educating myself on the boats now.

I paid $3800 for the bike, but it is worth more. I have it listed at $5k

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok, well neither of those boats are worth $5k. Also, you probably want to avoid a little jet boat like the Seadoo. They're pretty limited in their usefulness. The SeaRay looks decent but not worth $5k. It's got the base powerplant. You'd want to check it very carefully for rot. It has a wooden deck, stringers (floor joists) and transom. It does look nice though and would be worth checking out. The galvanized trailer is a plus. In good condition it would be worth about what you paid for your bike so for an even-steven trade it could work out well for all parties. Just check it out thoroughly.

iMTB

Recruit

Thank you for your insight. It's hard to find a boat worth $5k. Boats seems to either be sub $3k or $8k+ It's like there is a void in the middle where I might find a boat that should cost $10k but it's in bad shape, or something obviously overpriced. Seems like no boats occupy that $5k mark.

The SeaRay is supposed to be in good condition "better than most boats of it's age" and the owner said they tested it out today and it runs well. He said there are no soft spots, been used mostly in freshwater.

More pics:
3G43K43J15Gb5E25Jdd2ib7e8ffdbe09c18ca.jpg

3Ge3I13M15E75K25M3d2ia80e61388db61992.jpg

Edit: I found 2 other SeaRay 175s for sale in the area, a 97 for $4500 (private seller) and a 96 for $5990 (dealer).

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just my .02 cents but I think you would be better off selling the bike outright, then use the money towards an appropriate boat. Otherwise is may be difficult to find an equal trade.

I would avoid that Speedster, they seem to be money pits that come with a ton of problems. My neighbor has one sitting in his garage right now that hasn’t moved in 2 years. He is tired of throwing money into it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Around here, the SeaRay would be a bargain. But our summers are short and only freshwater.

If the hours are low, the maintenance has been done, and it all checks out mechanically and structurally, just do ti and get it over with.

Oh yeah, my opinion is only worth what you payed for it. :)