Bought a boat this past weeekend need help identifing it, PLEASE!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bought a boat this past weeekend need help identifing it, PLEASE!

check your title; it will tell you. What, no title? take it back!

Could be a scatcraft from the early 70's. A friend in high school had one with the 135 when it first came out. We were all 15 and most of our parents wouldn't allow us to ride in it with him--but we did anyway!

The Glastron guys would be better able to tell you if it's one of those.

Welcome to Iboats!

bdick33

Cadet

The little I know is it was sitting at ranch under a canopy. The farmer told me he bought it from an auction about a year and a half ago for his son. He put tires on the trailer. He lost the title and paper work to it. Wrote me out a bill of sale. He did put tags on it when he got it. Idaho dmv says all I need is bill of sale. I got it and the trailer for 300 bucks. I know it is going to need a lot of work. But I'm more then happy to take on a project.. :) Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate them all. Guess I need to go to the dmv and do more research.

Maclin

Admiral

That looks a lot like a boat my brother had, it was a Sidewinder. His was on a tilt trailer also. His was an I/O, and the seat supports were all molded in. He mentioned that it was a knockoff of a Taylor. They could be configured for outboard or I/O or Jet.

Attachments

• HPIM1241.jpg
    HPIM1241.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1226.jpg
    HPIM1226.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM1225.jpg
    HPIM1225.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 0

bdick33

Cadet

Looked on transom, both sides, top, bottom, behind fuel cell, no plate. I will go to dmv tomorrow, see what they have a record of.. Wow crazy the windscreen and dash are designed just like mine...sweet. my seats are molded aswell. thanks dude. The I/o would be awsome. Might be a winner.. with the company anyhow.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yup, the '69 Ford dashboards in both those boats are too close to be a coincidence!

boatdash1.jpg

boatdash2.jpg

redfury

Commander

yeah, that dash is certainly unique. If it was going to be ID'd by anything, that'd be it. Certainly not a Glastron, the hull isn't any of their aqua lift design that I recognize. Neat looking Ski boat though. Looks like you got into your boat the same way I got into mine...you'll probably end up saying you spent too much money buying the boat once you dig into it! Hopefully not, my hull is full of osmosis blisters, so cosmetically, no matter what I do I'm going to have a flawed boat....I simply don't have the time, energy or gumption to tackle stripping the gel coat off the boat. Good luck though!

jestor68

Commander

I agree that it looks like a Sidewinder.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

type in "Tahiti sidewinder boat" (without quote marks) into the Google image search and look at the pictures. There won't be any more doubt.

bdick33

Cadet

Went to dmv yesterday..ugh. more issues came up. So I called the old owner and finally got some paper work and a recipt from the auction they bought it from. So I must go back agian today..lol. hopefully it won't be a complete boat anchor..haha. I don't mind doing the research though. Kinda interesting to learn the past. Crossing my fingers. Dmv told me it was a 16ft Apollo. I googled the hell out of that and found nothing the looks the same. I can see the resemblance with the sidewinder and tihiti's but the gun port things on the bow and the gills aft make me question, but super close. You guys have been great. Thank you. I will keep you all updated.

southkogs

Staff member

...Dmv told me it was a 16ft Apollo...
Do a Google Image search for Apollo Starfire. I can't find one just like yours, but it makes sense of the DMV's registration.

bdick33

Cadet

Holy cow! So after tracing down the last owner and thank god he still had the bill of sale from an auction house, the boat is MINE! Proud and super excited! Just reminds me of a mini cigarette boat. Cause I will never be able to afford one..lol So the registration says that it is a year1976, make APG, model BT, color Brown, length 16 ft.. only thing that seems right is the color, but I don't think that is OE either. Some wore away paint looked like it was black with red and whit flake. On the out side it looks like a sidewinder minus the bad***** side markers. I will take more pictures this weekend to give everyone a better look. Anything particular any one might want to see? Thanks agian guys!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you look at the google images. They show the sidwinder pictures and the dash and exterior is just like yours in many of them.

DMV's are known to make mistakes too. My 27' Bayliner was listed as 30' and the HIN on the title had the right letters and numbers in it, just all mixed up.

Don't know if this will work or not, but here goes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tah...rEiwKBj4CgBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Don , his new boat looks NOTHING like the 8th picture down on the left side in the link you provided ! :rolleyes:
Did you look at the google images. They show the sidwinder pictures and the dash and exterior is just like yours in many of them.

DMV's are known to make mistakes too. My 27' Bayliner was listed as 30' and the HIN on the title had the right letters and numbers in it, just all mixed up.

Don't know if this will work or not, but here goes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Tah...rEiwKBj4CgBw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

bdick33

Cadet

I am going to say that it is very similar to the sidewinder styling. very few have the same style dash. Most have the cool side makers. And some have the gills behind glass. My interior is set up completly different Then everthing else.. I'm going to take tons of pics and pull things apart and look for obvious issues. But I really don't know. Any advice? First time owning a boat. Had a couple stand up jetskis but they are nothing a like.You guys put me on the right track though! Sweet!