New CC, take 2

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Alright, this time I went with a Starcraft! '72 18' Mariner whose former port was Fairbanks, IA. Hull is solid with no dings or scrapes to speak of, the deck and carpet look newer and solid, but I'll do a closer inspection at home. After driving 650 miles to look at it I glanced over it and paid the guy the $400 he was asking.. he even through in a cover :)

The seller stated its a '72 but the serial number is 991570.. different pattern then I'm used to. Perhaps a '70?

2013-02-19_17-11-07_343.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New CC, take 2

Nice find, reading through your last CC thread now... :)

InMotion

Commander

Nice Chief... looks like a nice little spring project!

J.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

read through that... and check; not all tin boats are good.
:facepalm:

this time you know it's a good design :thumb:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Exactly Gibbles, this time I stayed with a known solid brand! And the trailer from that one makes an awesome trailer for the SC :)

64osby

Admiral

She looks great sitting on your trailer Chief. :excitement:

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Now I'm debating what power plant to put on her after the transom rebuild. I've found a 1995 Mariner 115hp for $2300 or $2400 installed from a boat shop. These are 4 cylinders I think. There are several donor boats in the area with 70's Tower of Power 6 cyl 115s which can be had for about $1200. Any experience with the newer engines? I have enjoyed two older mercury engines that run well and quitely but besides the Force have not owned anything newer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That seems a lot better than driving to Long Island. $400 ain't bad. Is that a Harley shield on the trailer fender? I have no "newer" motor experience at all, so no help there.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Nah, its one of the Shoreland'r logos.. but looks a lot like the Harley one.

Fuel tank location is also got me thinking. Right now it just has a 6 gallon metal tank- makes 9 such tanks that I own! The bow deck on this boat has room for 2 or 3 under it. Could I link the two hoses to a Y fitting and run one line to the engine?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

both prices seem so high for powerplants, I think the most I have spent on a single powerplant was $200 though... and then another $100 in parts... :)
I think I just got lucky tho ;)

I would have to look at the 70's engines, I would only touch if really clean, look at the ign system, if a full dist walk away (I have 2 of such engines), ign parts for the dist mercs are NLA.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Look for a '78 or newer V4 JohnnyRude. I'd want an 18 gallon tank.

64osby

Admiral

Motors sound high. You have an 85hp right now. Yea it's Elec shift. It does meet the 75% rule for power. Maybe relax on buying new power and watch the market. Take some time to focus on the transom and reworking the Mariner.

Will the 28 gal tank fit anywhere?

Is the floor as good as the PO stated?

Are those wood caps on the gunwale and how is that rod holder on the splashwell set up?

Need more pics.

Added info

http://southbend.craigslist.org/boa/3599161634.html

Unknown year, power tilt only.

GA_Boater

Don't you have a larger tank you got for the MC CC? Under the CC if it fits. The center of the boat is better if it's doable, I think.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I pulled into my driveway at 0545 this morning then had to get into work so I have not gone over it much yet, but the floor is extremely solid everywhere I walked. More pics here Mobile Photobucket

The PO did a really nice job with 1x6" along the rear gunwales and 2x6 stern pole holders and steps (pictured) that is very solid and looks practical.

On fuel tank options, there's lots of room under the splash well, but there are some strong opinions that that would be a terrible place to put fuel... odd since that's where Starcraft put the 18gal tanks originally on many models. Under the console might work, my 28 gallon tank might be slightly too big for that but I will see once I get the MC's console in the SC. The current one in the SC is in poor shape and looks cobbled together. But the SC is only 2.5" narrower then the MC so it should fit.

Then there's the bow. Its got the original U shaped seats but those are too small to put any tanks in. Right now there's the carpeted platform over top. If I took out the original aluminum seat frame there would be plenty of space and room to spare even for the 28 gallon. I'm not really keen on pulling the original out, but I will go over it in detail tonight after work

Engine wise, I am leery of the electro shift, but more importantly I cannot get my current 85 to start. Cranks nicely but perhaps there no spark because it does not even try to start. There is a 1980 115 Rude for $1500 obo near here as well with power tnt and running

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice drive & grab.... Best of luck wrangling the OB situation....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You need to see if you can get your motor running. Even if you don't want to keep it, if you can take it out on the water once and take a video of it running and a good hole shot, you can sell it for $$$$ on CL. Lots of people out there don't know about electric shift and all that and will just see "85 HP". You could get $800+ for it come spring if you can get it running.

GA_Boater

EZ makes a real good point. 85 is a magic number for a lot of buyers.

64osby

Admiral

Chief - You're taking your Commodore status pretty serious. :D

That SN looks like a great candidate for a motor exchange and flip.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

But how much is a hull and trailer really worth? I've never priced them out.. but it has potential certainly. But that's a 60's engine, ot sure if I want to go that old or go with an 80's engine. Choices! :)