Removal of Bayliner alpha 1 drive?

triplej1954

Cadet
Trying to remove this (on a car called a bell housing) and take it out of the hull to replace rotten wood in the transom. I have broken two 1/2 inch craftsman drives on this. Need to take the Alpha 1 drive completely out of the hull. Any ideas or what am I missing?

Attachments

• engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removal of Bayliner alpha 1 drive?

You have a pic of the other side?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not a Bayliner drive, and it's not an Alpha I.

Looks to me like the Mercruiser transmission for a TR or TRS drive.
How about some pictures of the drive, and what was the model number of the engine in it?

triplej1954

Cadet

Inside and outside picture. Told it a a V8 Mercruriser 75 Bayliner saratoga.

Attachments

• DSC02670.jpg
    DSC02670.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC02671.jpg
    DSC02671.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0

triplej1954

Cadet

There was no engine in the boat. Sunk in salt water in Oregon while tied to the dock. Left unattended for years. Electronics and gear were all stolen before I bought her for removal.

Don S

Ok, it must have been the angle of the picture, it's not a transmission, and it appears to be a MC-1 (Mercruiser One) drive gimbal housing, with a V8 engine Y pipe.
You really don't have much to work with there.

triplej1954

Cadet

Have the rest of the outdrive in parts on a pallet. Just need this out to repair the transom. the two bolts that hold on the bell housing? will not turn. bteaks the wrenck rather than turn. Must be missing something.

carribbean soul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nope they are 3/4 inch bolts that have nuts held by the inner plate. your torquing on the right thing.

that inner plate is $100 all day long on e bay you may want to try a sawz-all and destroy the inner plate and get moving on your project.

tpenfield

Staff member

Looks like to me that the flywheel housing is still attached to the transom assembly mounts, making it look like a tranny of some sort. If so, it must have been a neat trick to taking the engine out by unfastening it from the flywheel housing instead of the 2 rear mounting bolts.

Bondo

Staff member

Have the rest of the outdrive in parts on a pallet. Just need this out to repair the transom. the two bolts that hold on the bell housing? will not turn. bteaks the wrenck rather than turn. Must be missing something.

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' they're really frozen, rusted, corroded....

Try a 1/2" Impact gun, or grind the heads off, fix it, 'n use new bolts...

Don S

The bolt (when exposed to salt water) WILL rust inside the motor mount, I have use some super high powered impact wrenches and they won't do the job because of the rubber in the mount absorbing the shock.

Cut the head off the bolt, then drill the rubber all around the inner portion of the mount and lift/pry the housing up off the inner portions of the mounts. Then cut off as needed to get the bolt out. You will destroy the mounts and bolts, but the flywheel cover will survive.

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to have similar problem on different motor. Bolt was loose but badly frozen to the inner bushing in the mount. Rubber was flexing and even high impact gun didn't help. Ended up with cutting the bolt between the bell housing and transom plate with sawz-all after trying to soak it with PB blaster unsuccessfully. Good luck.

triplej1954

Cadet

Will try and get them out soon. Will be repowering the boat with a much newer engine, not sure how much of the housings I will need to save yet.