Make my own Anchor saver

agallant80

Commander
I really don't feel like spending $70 on something I can accomplish my moving where the chain connects and a few zip ties. I never have done this before. Can someone who is using this setup (the ziptie not Anchor Saver) explain to me what exactly to do? I looked for it on google and youtube but did not return much. Perhaps I am using the wrong search terms.

What strength zip ties and how many should I use for a 7,000Lbs boat? I watched the Anchor saver video and they showed the pin breaking at about 850Lbs. Don't know what size boat that was for though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Make my own Anchor saver

I always tied a small 3/8" line on the front of the anchor, about 10 feet or so longer than the water I anchor in. Then tie a fender on the end and put the anchor out. The fender floats over the anchor, if it hangs up, just motor up to the fender, pick it up and pull the anchor out of where it's stuck. I had a 45 CQR anchor and 250' of 3/8" chain, that I really didn't want to have to replace, and it worked perfectly for me twice.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you are going to use the poor man's version of the anchor saver, you should probably do some experimentation with the zip ties to see how many, how thick, etc. You will also have to find a way of connecting the rode chain to the forward part of the anchor. A drill and some hardware might be needed.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why not just buy the shear bolts for $15 or make your own with a grinder and pick up a couple of shackles... Hook up your chain with one strong shackle and one weakened one and ur GTG

agallant80

Commander

I was about to order the bolts for $15 then on check out it told me that the shipping would be $25 so $40 for some bolts.... I think I will go with what smokeonthewater said. Make my own by cutting some bolts on the grinder. I'll update this thread with what I did so others can see.