1972 65hp eletrashift evinrude triumpth

cscates729

Recruit
I have a 1972 65hp Evinrude triumph outboard it goes forward great but will not go in reverse it sounds like it skipping just jerk jerk jerk jerk. I thought I had it idling to high but I turned it back down and it still does it anyone have any ideas what it could be and can I fix it myself?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 65hp eletrashift evinrude triumpth

That gearcase is an electrically switched hydraulically shifted lower unit. Check for 12V on the blue and the green wire when in reverse.

Chances are there is water in the gear oil, the wrong gear oil, or something is not allowing the hydraulic pressure to build up enough to move the clutch dog into reverse gear. Other things may be the screens in the oil pump are getting plugged up or there are worn dogs on the clutch shifter and reverse gear.

You will need a service manual and some special tools to repair it if you are attempting this yourself.

cscates729

Recruit

That gearcase is an electrically switched hydraulically shifted lower unit. Check for 12V on the blue and the green wire when in reverse.

Chances are there is water in the gear oil, the wrong gear oil, or something is not allowing the hydraulic pressure to build up enough to move the clutch dog into reverse gear. Other things may be the screens in the oil pump are getting plugged up or there are worn dogs on the clutch shifter and reverse gear.

You will need a service manual and some special tools to repair it if you are attempting this yourself.

When its hooked up to the water hose it will spin in reverse without slipping

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's different when it's in the water with a load on it. I'd have to guess a bad clutch dog and reverse gear.