thermostat

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there something special about the Mercruiser thermostat.... it looks to me like a typical chevy thermostat but in 160*. Mercruiuser part cost is 25$ +/-, I can get a stainless thermostat at the parts store for 10$ or less...

wrench 3

Commander
Re: thermostat

You can buy an aftermarket marine thermostat from this site for around $9.00.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've installed aftermkt/auto store t-stat and no issues. I've heard that one difference is the type of metal made of (for anti-corrosion purposes?!?) or as wrench 3 says....on this site also.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's about the Temperature....

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Is there something special about the Mercruiser thermostat.... it looks to me like a typical chevy thermostat but in 160*. Mercruiuser part cost is 25$ +/-, I can get a stainless thermostat at the parts store for 10$ or less...

You're paying a little bit for the name but mostly being able to get the 160 degrees.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked at my local parts store, I can special order a Sierra that ends up being $23.99. Or I can get an off the shelf standard small block chevy thermostat in 160* variety for 3.99 or 8.99 for the premium one. I cant see any difference between the 2.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Check them with a magnet, if any part of them is magnetic, don't use them.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

it was a no-go..... The one tried the height above the plate was too tall so they would not fit into Merc housing. Im sure there might be some variations of other brand that would have fit, but I just ordered the Sierra replacement and called it good. As it turns out I wasnt going to get it all done this weekend anyway, so not a big to wait another day at this point.