1979 mercury/mariner 80hp bolt pattern

ramonie

Recruit
Hello I'm new here and have a question about bolt patterns on a 1979 mercury/mariner 80hp 4cyl.

I am looking to swap out a 1996 40hp force with a 1979 80hp mariner. Anyone know what the bolt pattern is for the 79 mercury/mariner outboard? I want to make sure it will match up before buying the motor. I searched through the web and came up with nothing. If need be to make the motor work dose anyone know where I can get a setback plate for the transom to mount the different bolt patterns? I have an aluminum transom and can't see filling and drilling new holes so with any help I would be greatfull.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 mercury/mariner 80hp bolt pattern

I doubt it will fit, without filling the old holes and drilling new holes. The '96 should have four 1/2" bolts arranged in a rectangle. The Merc will have two 3/8" lower transom bolts plus two upper thumb screws if manual tilt. if PTT, it will have an additional two 3/8" bolts quite high up on the transom, and further out, that attaches the PTT brackets.

ramonie

Recruit
Re: 1979 mercury/mariner 80hp bolt pattern

Thanks a lot for the info Chris you saved me time and money. Your right about bolt sizes and bolt pattern they don't match. looks like I need at least a mid 80's and newer with BIA standard bolt pattern.