Will this coil work ok on a inline 6??

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will this coil work ok on a inline 6? They say it will work on a large variety of motors so I can't see how it won't work on mine. Serial: 8008578 Australia model.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Will this coil work ok on a inline 6??

No, that coil is for alternator driven CD (6 coils) and your 150 is Battery CD (distributor and 1 coil)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Oldman has provided the correct product. They are available aftermarket, and I would think they would be cheaper. Do a google search on the part number. I know sierra makes them.

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

Done some research, orange coil were used from 67-73, the black smaller type were used from 74-75. My local outboard wrecker has secondhands ones $30.. online orange coils are rare, but the smaller black type are common.
Id prefer a new coil..

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

A easy Ohm test of used coils will tell if it is good and can save you close to $50. Test accross the two small termnals should read less than 1 ohm. then test from the plug wire tower to the small ground wire that is bare and on the backside of the coil. It should read 570 to730 Ohms. New coils can be buoght aftermarket and the ones I've seen run close to $80 bucks of hard earned money. Serria and Mallory both make the aftermarket coils.JMO
Oldman570

Mi duckdown

Commander

Sourbsted I can not believe that you have not found a OEM merc manual For that Motor??You want to Buy one???
Give serial NUMBER. Hens teeth.

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes ducktown, I have a OEM manual and clymer manual. I haven't been able to find any guide lines on how to test the coil.
From coil tower to engine earth I tested the ohms. Is suppose to be between 57-73 ohms. I got 32 ohms. I also tested both terms +- and got 0.1. Suppose to be either 0.1-0.2..
so the coil doesn't look 100% well..

carholme

Rear Admiral

Do you have the parts list for your s/n?

Gerry

Laddies

Banned

The coil tests in a OEM manual are in the specification section

scan0009.jpg

sourbsted

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a look at a site marine engine. They the parts list, I got the part number for the coil. There's coils all over eBay, so I can now find the one I need..
Cheers thanks..

Oldman, what you said about needing to be between 570-730 ohms mine is 325 ohms on that test. So I guess the coil is no good..