fumoto valve?

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 99 f250 with a 7.3l powerstroke. A while back I discovered a fumoto valve. It is a ball valve that screws in in place of the drain plug on my oil pan. Seems if this would fit my 4.3 in the boat that would make oil changes easy! Need no extractor, no draining into bilge. Just attach a tube to the end of the fumoto valve and run it through the bilge drain.

Sooooo...would the threads be the same?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fumoto valve?

Ayuh,... Unless yer 4.3l is metric, it's oil pan threads are 1/2"- 20...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depending you the year of your 4.3, you may have a dipstick that goes into the bottom of the pan. Then you wouldn't be able to use it.

mwe-maxxowner

My 4.3 is 86 or 87. I forget.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Here is a link to the valves. I think I might give them a call and see if they have one to fit! The applications page doesn't load properly on my phone.

Sorry about the wrong forum :(. I wasn't thinking.

Soder99

Cadet

Don, I'd like to put in the same setup, but my 4.3L is a 1997. What year did they stop doing the plugs? I've been pumping my oil out but a hose out the drain plug would be much nicer.

Thanks for all you help on all these different topics, it makes a big difference for us "shade tree-ers."

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a 99 f250 with a 7.3l powerstroke. A while back I discovered a fumoto valve. It is a ball valve that screws in in place of the drain plug on my oil pan.

Be careful if you do any back-country 4x4 ops with that truck if the valve hangs down. If you drag something under the truck and bust it off, it won't be pretty!

I installed a drain hose on my engine (I have a separate pan drain) and clamped it directly to the left riser using an adel clamp.

I connect my suction tank (pump it 18 strokes) and it takes 5 min (hot or cold) to drain the oil sump. Using the suction tank (a Moeller Moeller Fluid Extractor Pump Overview - YouTube ), I never spill a drop.

Draining it out through the bilge drain requires you to run the engine long enough to completely heat the oil to operating temp. Even then it drains painfully SLOW........... if you try it cold, you might as well let drain over night (or go take a LONG lunch!)

Your dipstick drain has a connection for the suction hose and will work at least as good as what you want to do..... and if it goes to the bottom of the pan you'll be making more problems adding the valve.

Regards,

Rick

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 99 f250 with a 7.3l powerstroke. A while back I discovered a fumoto valve. It is a ball valve that screws in in place of the drain plug on my oil pan. Seems if this would fit my 4.3 in the boat that would make oil changes easy! Need no extractor, no draining into bilge. Just attach a tube to the end of the fumoto valve and run it through the bilge drain.

Sooooo...would the threads be the same?

Fumoto valves are top of the line and have been made for many years. They are OEM on CAT heavy equipment.

I have them on most of my vehicles. Cant put one on my 4.3 though as the dipstick goes into pan.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Fumoto valves are top of the line and have been made for many years. They are OEM on CAT heavy equipment.

I have them on most of my vehicles. Cant put one on my 4.3 though as the dipstick goes into pan.

My 4.3 has a drain plug and I have been using a Fumoto valve on it for over 10 years with no issues. Sucking oil through the dipstick is simply a work around IMHO, and one for fools. It makes no difference if your dipstick goes to the bottom of the pan or not. Particulates have a tendency to gather toward the bottom of the pan and I prefer to drain oil hot from that area the way motors were intended to drain oil.

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Please forgive if this is a Hijack, but I feel this is a relevant Question,
Would a 1990 Mercruiser /Chevy 3.0 still be a 1/2-20 fitting? S/N below. Regards, Moose

mwe-maxxowner

I don't know if it would or not, but I emailed the fumoto team and they got back quickly. They will let you know what you need. I have no problem letting my oil take its time to drain if need be.