Trolling Motor does not turn?

R B

Seaman
I have a Minn Kota 52 PD trolling motor that will not turn. I would like to try another pedal before I buy a new one or does anyone know how to troubleshoot the pedal?

Any ideas on what causes it to not steer?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trolling Motor does not turn?

Howdy R B.

Welcome to iboats. :)

You might have one that the board can be serviced. It is a challenge IDing which part does what, but those types can be serviced by someone who is electronics trained.

I had a spare that I had fixed after getting a new one years ago. I sent it to someone who scammed me. I gave all my notes, etc., to the guy who bought that boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are no electronic components in the pedal other than membrane switches. An ohm meter is all you need.

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know anything about the specific model you are referencing so maybe this is a dumb question, but is turning controlled electronically or by a metal cable (like mine). With the cable you just take it apart and lubricate it.

R B

Seaman

The model number is Minn Kota 1866040. It works electronically.

R B

Seaman

Well, I thought I had it figured out. I bought a new pedal and that did not fix the steering problem. I just power straifgt to the servo motor and then it turns. I wish I had a diagnostic flow chart to test the boards.

R B

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I was able to troubleshoot the unit and found the control board shorted. I replaced the board and it works!